UKC Forums
Show all 7 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Helping a dog (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928556217)

Posted by Preacher Tom on 07-04-2024 01:53 AM:

Helping a dog

I have a dog that someone apparently used way too much electric on. I like to train all my dogs to come to tone. Usually start this in the yard using only light electric as reinforcement if needed. This dog will just freeze at any electric stimulation. I have been working him in the yard and he will come to tone but comes like he's afraid. Any ideas to help with this would be appreciated. Right now my plan is to just do lots in the yard and try to help him get over his fear of even the tone.

Posted by DL NH on 07-04-2024 02:37 AM:

Use treats with the positive praise. Doesn’t have to be anything more than a couple of the small dog biscuits.

Posted by Preacher Tom on 07-04-2024 03:59 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
Use treats with the positive praise. Doesn’t have to be anything more than a couple of the small dog biscuits.

Dan my plan is to use a whistle and treats until he's happy about everything and then try to re-introduce the tone.

Posted by RC-Abby on 07-04-2024 05:39 PM:

Preacher Tom

Good Luck! I bought a 5 year old male that someone had abused the buttons with. He will be11 July 5th. I can only use the tone once. If I push twice I have to go get him. He just lays and shakes. I have never used any other buttons just tone. Only use it when I am ready to go. Took a long time to figure him out. He is my buddy and a treeing machine. Took 5 days to get him to let me pet him without cowering down.

Randi

Posted by OLD TIMER on 07-05-2024 01:30 AM:

Friend in IA

got one that an idiot used so much electricity on that was a heck of a hound until you put a collar on her. She would just shake and was froze. Take it off and she was a #1 hound.

Posted by Dave Richards on 07-06-2024 12:57 PM:

Shock/training collar

These COLLARS can be a great training tool, but can ruin a dog if not used correctly. They are NOT to be abused they can not make a dog walk on water. However, used correctly they can not be beat as a training tool. I learned a long time ago to never use one in anger or to satisfy my ego. Dave

Posted by Preacher Tom on 07-06-2024 05:26 PM:

Re: Shock/training collar

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
These COLLARS can be a great training tool, but can ruin a dog if not used correctly. They are NOT to be abused they can not make a dog walk on water. However, used correctly they can not be beat as a training tool. I learned a long time ago to never use one in anger or to satisfy my ego. Dave

I've messed with training Dogs and horses my whole life and made many mistakes but the most valuable thing I ever learned was to put my ego in my pocket. When I was about 12 years old my dad purchased a 2 yr old quarter horse stud colt. I had ridden a lot but never started a colt. I asked him if I could train this colt. He asked me if I would do exactly what he told me. Of course, I said yes but ego and anger would creep in. I don't know how many times he made me get off and stand in the corner of the corral till I got my mind right. He was patient with me and I never forgot what he taught me. To this day I enjoy training an animal. By the way this dog is showing improvement already. Treats are making a difference. Also, I must have roped a thousand calve off that horse. He made a really nice one. In spite of me!