UKC Forums Pages (7): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Show all 174 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Thyroid problems running wild. (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928517689)

Posted by johnny reb on 04-23-2019 02:22 PM:

As someone that is on synthroid.I wished it would work like some of you thank it does to give copious amounts of energy like a crack head gets from his hit. I think the reason we see more of it now is because it’s tested for more. There may also be something to do with the feed.

Posted by 4play on 04-23-2019 02:54 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
As someone that is on synthroid.I wished it would work like some of you thank it does to give copious amounts of energy like a crack head gets from his hit. I think the reason we see more of it now is because it’s tested for more. There may also be something to do with the feed.

From what I've read and others have researched....Too much Sodium{salt} is a problem in feed and that effects Thyroid.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Posted by Wes Coffman on 04-23-2019 04:18 PM:

quote:

You mean to tell us Reb you still tree a slick tail and stand on your head some nights?

Posted by Rip on 04-24-2019 02:54 AM:

quote:

Trust me it does work like that. I prescribe it every day. The reason you don't feel that is because you are getting back to normal levels. If you didn't need it you would have energy like speed and you would lose tons of weight. All of that of course at the expense of your heart and having bug eyes for the rest of your life, but when overdosed it does give all kinds of energy.

Posted by Dave Richards on 04-24-2019 03:15 AM:

Rip

Doc, I really don't think most people realize just how serious the thyroid meds are! I remember reading an article about people getting sick in different parts of the USA years ago, they traced the problem to a meat packing plant that was grinding the thyroid glands of the cows in the meat they were selling. This caused people to get real , cooking the meat did not destroy the thyroid hormones and those healthy people with normal thyroid were getting to much thyroid hormone in their system from eating this meat and got real sick. This problem resulted in all meat packing plants to be prohibited from using the thyroid glands in any products they produced. I personally take thyroid meds due to my autoimmune system destroying my thyroid gland. I have been on meds for years now and do just fine at my prescribed dosage, I have to take my thyroid meds in the morning on an empty stomach by itself at least 1 hour before eating to ensure proper absorbation . I also, know someone who is hyperthyroid and she had high heart rate and other issues until they got here corrected. The dangers of to much thyroid far outweigh any increased energy one might experience in a man or dog. Dave

Posted by Wes Coffman on 04-24-2019 01:29 PM:

Hyperactivity does not equal better performance...to be fair...no one has actually said that in this thread....I just find the argument of giving Thyroid meds for some sort of enhanced performance affect a weak one. If you are talking maintain performance...in the case of a truly hypothyroid dog...that I can appreciate.

Posted by yadkintar on 04-24-2019 01:54 PM:

Buuuuut giving a dog that is in normal ranges the meds opens the genies bottle. If you are going to do this :

1. When breeding said dogs or selling pups out of said dogs you should disclose it or suffer consequences!!

2. Anybody that is doing this should know by over medicating their dog they are eventually damaging the sport for future generations.

3. You are selling these young folks their dreams and eventually they will find out as the dog gets older that that dream was tarnished and we will loose them in this sport.

Tar

Posted by nitehunter2004 on 04-24-2019 05:58 PM:

Was dogs back 20 or 30 years ago better?
20 years ago I judged a coon dog by the scares on his head, his ears ripped, the hair gone above his eyes, his toe nails wore down, end of his tail bleeding, he slept during the day and stood proud with mussels so hard you bent a needle giving him a shot when it got dark. They didn’t get that way from a hearsay sissy pill. JMO.

Posted by yadkintar on 04-24-2019 06:16 PM:

They got that way from being hunted hard because they had to be in shape enough to hunt longer hunt times with no mistakes no coon no win. All I am saying is if a person wants to have a whole pen full of thyroid dogs and you want to juice them breed them hunt them whatever !! Go for it !! But don’t make a bunch of stupid excuses why it happened and cover it up selling a product to a unsuspecting buyer. Because people won’t take the loss and clean out their kennel when they know they got it.

If your dog food needs salt put some on it !!

Tar

Posted by Tim Green on 04-24-2019 08:14 PM:

Does a breeder have a responsibility to tell potential buyers that one or both (Sire/Dam) is on thyroid medicine or does it matter as long as they get their $$$$&. I feel this will prove whether you are a responsible breeder and care about the breed or just money. I personally feel it is my responsibility to inform my buyers if or not. Luckily for me, all my dogs I own are not on it.

I guess the other question is, is anyone following this thread willing to honestly say they are or have juiced their dogs for other than medical reasons. I doubt it

Posted by DL NH on 04-24-2019 09:42 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Green
Does a breeder have a responsibility to tell potential buyers that one or both (Sire/Dam) is on thyroid medicine or does it matter as long as they get their $$$$&. I feel this will prove whether you are a responsible breeder and care about the breed or just money. I personally feel it is my responsibility to inform my buyers if or not. Luckily for me, all my dogs I own are not on it.

I guess the other question is, is anyone following this thread willing to honestly say they are or have juiced their dogs for other than medical reasons. I doubt it

Everybody knows the Golden Rule right? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Unfortunately there are some folks who don't have any sense of what the words honesty and integrity mean nor the backbone to live by them.

Posted by nitehunter2004 on 04-24-2019 10:50 PM:

quote:

Don’t have or will I own a dog that needs thyroid pills.
If you guys know for a fact this is going on and you know who they are Do The Rite Thing and let us All know?

If your dog, let’s say 2 years from now he needs thyroid pill for what ever reason, I pray that never happens but if it does are you gonna buy every pup back and take them out of the breeding chain? If not you could be one of the breeders you are taking about in 15/20 years.

Posted by Tim Green on 04-24-2019 11:24 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
Don’t have or will I own a dog that needs thyroid pills.
If you guys know for a fact this is going on and you know who they are Do The Rite Thing and let us All know?

If your dog, let’s say 2 years from now he needs thyroid pill for what ever reason, I pray that never happens but if it does are you gonna buy every pup back and take them out of the breeding chain? If not you could be one of the breeders you are taking about in 15/20 years.

Mr. Osbourne,

The two sides to this whole discussion is whether they need it or not. Some need it and some get not needing it for an advantage. What I am saying is, if I have a litter of pups and the female is on ANY medication....I feel the buyer has a right to know that. If Kid was on any medication, the same applies. Before anyone breeds, they should know. What happens 2-3 yrs from now wouldn’t be a result of my program...unless I was breeding the problems. That’s all I am saying.

Have you ever sold pups from females or sires on thyroid medicine without informing the buyer? I haven’t followed your breeding program, so I don’t know. I would think as a former TWBA Breeder of the year, you would let people know.

Tim

Posted by nitehunter2004 on 04-24-2019 11:51 PM:

quote:
Mr. Osbourne,

The two sides to this whole discussion is whether they need it or not. Some need it and some get not needing it for an advantage. What I am saying is, if I have a litter of pups and the female is on ANY medication....I feel the buyer has a right to know that. If Kid was on any medication, the same applies. Before anyone breeds, they should know. What happens 2-3 yrs from now wouldn’t be a result of my program...unless I was breeding the problems. That’s all I am saying.

Have you ever sold pups from females or sires on thyroid medicine without informing the buyer? I haven’t followed your breeding program, so I don’t know. I would think as a former TWBA Breeder of the year, you would let people know.

Tim

It’s spelled Osborne, it was 2004 SETWA.
You never answered my question but I have no problem answering yours, Never!
With all the new info you are getting you should know that but it’s kinda like the thread you started a few days ago people love to talk and jealousy runs deep, what ever was said about you I have no idea iv only heard good things, but what is the difference in that and what you guys are posting with out facts to back it up and the only way to do that is give us a few names so we can research.

Posted by Dave Richards on 04-25-2019 12:08 AM:

Tim Osborne

You have certainly asked a proper question! Let those with this knowledge come forth and name names, if not on this open forum at least by private messaging. Allegations are just that, speak out if you really know something to be a fact, we all deserve to know this info. I will be glad to disclose my only known source of thyroid dependent dogs by private message to anyone that cares to know. My info is a well known fact backed by a local vet who has treated several dogs all tracing back to this individual, and not my personal opinion. Opinions mean nothing without prove, just saying. Dave

Posted by Tim Green on 04-25-2019 12:24 AM:

quote:
With all the new info you are getting you should know that but it’s kinda like the thread you started a few days ago people love to talk and jealousy runs deep, what ever was said about you I have no idea iv only heard good things, but what is the difference in that and what you guys are posting with out facts to back it up and the only way to do that is give us a few names so we can research.

I apologize for misspelling your name and misquoting your award. I have not been in this game as long as you and probably most on this board. I refuse to simply repeat gossip that others speak to me...I will say though, this is a small group and things that you say or others say in private does get repeated.

As for my jealousy post the other day, I simply said if it applies, they will know. Kind of like accusing me of breeding crap females, but then who would possibly say that. The females I have bred has won a lot and most importantly treed a lot coons.

I am gonna take the high road though. I don’t care if I ever breed another female...that was never my intentions. I don’t need to sell puppies. I am just a pleasure hunter, that is blessed to have healthy dogs that don’t need medication to go hunting and pray they never do.

Posted by yadkintar on 04-25-2019 12:36 AM:

quote:

Tim wheather you have or haven’t does not concern me. As long as wheather it’s genetic or man made it is not passed on to consumers. Houses Clint was a known thyroid dog most say it was because of to tight of inbreeding so tight that the breeder falsified papers to conceal it then when his famous son came along they used him to build the all grand pedigree. Then when stylish Harry came
along it intensified it even more. That is a sample of it passed down geneticly. Now bozo was the foundation of the coma dogs coma was the foundation of wipe out everybody knows they juiced them to get them in the dark better that was in the hunts at that time it’s a known fact a lot of them are on the meds because it regulates the damage that was caused by other things. Stylish Harry carried bozo and Clint many many times. You will have a hard time finding a dog that don’t have some of this in their pedigree because of the sheer huge numbers of pups those dogs produced. This is not ment to call anybody out it is to explain how we got to this point and how we fix it. I have all of the dogs above way back in my dogs so far with no problems and I got a litter on the way and that’s it for me. But we have to get a handle on it or we will not be able to fix it. You wanted what I know that’s what I gave you no sugar coat no excuses only the truth that can be verified and most already know it but just won’t take the loss because it would hurt their bank account.

Tar

Posted by nitehunter2004 on 04-25-2019 12:38 AM:

quote:
I apologize for misspelling your name and misquoting your award. I have not been in this game as long as you and probably most on this board. I refuse to simply repeat gossip that others speak to me...I will say though, this is a small group and things that you say or others say in private does get repeated.

As for my jealousy post the other day, I simply said if it applies, they will know. Kind of like accusing me of breeding crap females, but then who would possibly say that. The females I have bred has won a lot and most importantly treed a lot coons.

I am gonna take the high road though. I don’t care if I ever breed another female...that was never my intentions. I don’t need to sell puppies. I am just a pleasure hunter, that is blessed to have healthy dogs that don’t need medication to go hunting and pray they never do.

You still avoided my question.
For what it’s worth if I owned Kid I would find Females as close to Nocturnal Jodie or yadkin River Bell.
Good Luck and stay in touch.

Posted by nitehunter2004 on 04-25-2019 12:46 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Tim wheather you have or haven’t does not concern me. As long as wheather it’s genetic or man made it is not passed on to consumers. Houses Clint was a known thyroid dog most say it was because of to tight of inbreeding so tight that the breeder falsified papers to conceal it then when his famous son came along they used him to build
the all grand pedigree. That’s why when stylish Harry came
along it intensified it even more. That is a sample of it passed down geneticly. Now bozo was the foundation of the coma dogs coma was the foundation of wipe out everybody knows they juiced them to get them in the dark better that was in the hunts at that time it’s a known fact a lot of them are on the meds because it regulates the damage that was caused by other things. Stylish Harry carried bozo and Clint many many times. You will have a hard time finding a dog that don’t have some of this in their pedigree because of the sheer huge numbers of pups those dogs produced. This is not ment to call anybody out it is to explain how we got to this point and how we fix it. I have all of the dogs above way back in my dogs so far with no problems and I got a litter on the way and that’s it for me. But we have to get a handle on it or we will not be able to fix it. You wanted what I know that’s what I gave you no sugar coat no excuses only the truth that can be verified and most already know it but just won’t take the loss because it would hurt their bank account.

Tar

The 1st All Gn was Sheets Stylish Digger he was out of a liter mate to Yadkin River Bell. Kenny Abbott was behind the All Gn pedigree and Lipper was 2 or 3 Generations behind that LOL.

Posted by yadkintar on 04-25-2019 12:54 AM:

Didn’t say the all grand pedigree caused it just said it intensified an already exzisting problem.

Are you going to be part of the solution or the problem ?

Tar

Posted by nitehunter2004 on 04-25-2019 01:06 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Didn’t say the all grand pedigree caused it just said it intensified an already exzisting problem.

Are you going to be part of the solution or the problem ?

Tar

I’m still trying to figure out the problem, the pedigree that I’m working on started with Nocturnal Jodie she was out of Nocturnal Nailor which was out of Yadkin Tar Rattler and I continue to breed that line of dogs since 2000, people luv to blame Lipper or the All Gn, Show me proof and I will stand beside you not behind you like you did me.

Posted by Dave Richards on 04-25-2019 01:11 AM:

Tar

All of the dogs I have ever known to be thyroid dependent dogs in my area were Yadkin River stock, bred by Kyle Chase of Kingsport, Tenn. Kyle raised Yadkin River Jeff just so you know who I am talking about, Jeff is prominent in the Rattler line pedigree. I don't remember the pedigree of the Tom dog I owned that was a thyroid dog, but so am sure Kyle would. This information is well known in my area and can be proven by a local vet who treated a lot of Kyle's dogs. Dave

Posted by yadkintar on 04-25-2019 01:14 AM:

You asked for the truth ! I named names ! I gave the crosses responsible and how it came together ! If you have no problems then don’t sweat it ! But there are people that are having problems and I am trying to help them. I also been in this game a long time and seen people do things with my own eyes as a kid they didn’t think I knew any better.

I gave you all I got !

Tar

Posted by yadkintar on 04-25-2019 01:19 AM:

Re: Tar

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
All of the dogs I have ever known to be thyroid dependent dogs in my area were Yadkin River stock, bred by Kyle Chase of Kingsport, Tenn. Kyle raised Yadkin River Jeff just so you know who I am talking about, Jeff is prominent in the Rattler line pedigree. I don't remember the pedigree of the Tom dog I owned that was a thyroid dog, but so am sure Kyle would. This information is well known in my area and can be proven by a local vet who treated a lot of Kyle's dogs. Dave

Boy mine shouldn’t even be able to stand up then !!

Tar

Posted by Dave Richards on 04-25-2019 01:29 AM:

Tar

Lol. Jeff was just a reference so you would know the name and who I was talking about. As far as I know Jeff never had thyroid issues, Kyle would know, some of these problems could have been man made, I could not say one way or the other. I just know he had a lot of thyroid issues in his dogs and no one else did. Dave