UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > make a dog independent
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

well he asked a simple question the anser is yes noe tellin hin he needs to start over and get a naturally independent dog is off topic or getting into an arguement on what kind of dog is better. he is asking a training question thats all

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-15-2014 04:14 PM
rthompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rthompson Click here to Send rthompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rthompson Find more posts by rthompson Add rthompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

Independent

First why would you want one to be independent ?
does that make him a better dog ? or does it give him some kind of advantage over the rest ?
I’m not saying that Hound has to cover every squeak heard in the woods, but what’s wrong with a good Honest foot race from time to time ? Should a race horse be Independent also ? How’s this I’m in the Kentucky derby but I’m not gona run with all the other Horses cause I’m Independent !
The only way hes gona be independent on that day is out run all the rest

Ray Hudson

Old Post 05-15-2014 04:25 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

obviously u didnt read his situation go back read it and tell urself you wouldnt fix this situation .

Old Post 05-15-2014 05:22 PM
rthompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rthompson Click here to Send rthompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rthompson Find more posts by rthompson Add rthompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prostockpat
Banned

Re: make a dog independent

quote:
Originally posted by sgamberg
Can you make a dog independent?? If so how obyou go about it??

'Pr' Nitech. Stylish Clover Shark Jill
Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch
Queen of hunt TWBFA Walker Sectional.Franklin Co. Coonhunters{Oh.}2013.

Old Post 05-15-2014 07:12 PM
prostockpat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prostockpat Click here to Send prostockpat a Private Message Click Here to Email prostockpat Find more posts by prostockpat Add prostockpat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

others are entitled to their opinion, if this is where we are going as a sport,we need to have 1 dog casts because essentially if this method of training is the latest fad we are having four dogs going in different directions every time we turn loose.jmho.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 05-15-2014 08:35 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Walker9615
UKC Forum Member

Re: make a dog independent

quote:
Can you make a dog independent?? If so how obyou go about it??

Start it an hunt it alone from the get go. It may not take off running in the oppisite direction when gets casted with others , but it won't be lookin or waitin for them either.

Old Post 05-15-2014 09:02 PM
Walker9615 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Walker9615 Click here to Send Walker9615 a Private Message Click Here to Email Walker9615 Find more posts by Walker9615 Add Walker9615 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: make a dog independent

quote:
Originally posted by Walker9615
Start it an hunt it alone from the get go. It may not take off running in the oppisite direction when gets casted with others , but it won't be lookin or waitin for them either.

Now thats as about as simple and answer and any one could have ask for , if he gets used to doing it alone he wont tailgate anything else ...........

Ray Hudson

Old Post 05-15-2014 09:07 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
He's a finished dog and can do it all on his own and is hunted alone most of the time but has to big of ears will do his own thing but won't always hold pressure and if one opens first he's right their to cover them drives me nuts my plan was to shock him off any tree he backs another dog see what happens scared it will ruin him thou
this is the guys problem if u cant help a fellow coon hunter with out bashin dogs i dont know what to say good luck!

Old Post 05-15-2014 09:29 PM
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

independent

quote:
He's a finished dog and can do it all on his own and is hunted alone most of the time but has to big of ears will do his own thing but won't always hold pressure and if one opens first he's right their to cover them drives me nuts my plan was to shock him off any tree he backs another dog see what happens scared it will ruin him thou

from all of this i would not touch this dog hes already doing what he naturaly wants to do, if hes doing what you say! he could eat my feed and have a home, but i am just a pleasure hunter and not into the trophys hunt so , if you want him to do somthing diffrent, hey who am i to stand in your way of corection, there is no way i would personaly shock this dog @ this point though thats jmop Good luck hope he gets to where you want him to be

Ray Hudson

Old Post 05-15-2014 10:00 PM
jimbob_walker
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Allen
others are entitled to their opinion, if this is where we are going as a sport,we need to have 1 dog casts because essentially if this method of training is the latest fad we are having four dogs going in different directions every time we turn loose.jmho.
i think ukc is ahead of you on that idea. HTX

Old Post 05-16-2014 12:32 AM
jimbob_walker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jimbob_walker Click here to Send jimbob_walker a Private Message Click Here to Email jimbob_walker Find more posts by jimbob_walker Add jimbob_walker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kody
UKC Forum Member

I know

Every dog I have ever turned loose ever always ran a track like they were lookin at it never missed not even once beat everybody so bad u thought they were alone blah blah blah blah

U wanna go compete at the national hunts u need one that will do it's own thing if u have a top hound u can teach em not to cover u will prob be able to compete everywhere u go if u want one to be with others in calling contest go nuts I will take one deep and alone all day everyday

Home of:
Silver Ch Stylish Pit
Ntch Mr Wild Child Rambo (1-win)

All Co-owned with Colt Baldwin

Old Post 05-16-2014 12:45 AM
Kody is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kody Click here to Send Kody a Private Message Click Here to Email Kody Find more posts by Kody Add Kody to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jay brademeyer
UKC Forum Member

BINGO !! KODY

"Building on a solid foundation starts on the bottom side"

Old Post 05-16-2014 12:03 PM
jay brademeyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jay brademeyer Click here to Send jay brademeyer a Private Message Click Here to Email jay brademeyer Find more posts by jay brademeyer Add jay brademeyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsilvers1
UKC Forum Member

I can't believe people would admit to beating an animal. If you have to beat an animal you are not a trainer. I do agree with shocking a dog to correct them but shocking can't break bones or cause cuts unless they have a freak accident with a limb or something. Also if you shock your dog at anytime on a coon on purpose, just think about that, does that even make sense? You are literally shocking it on the game u want it to chase just because you don't want it to be with another dog. This not treeing with another dog in my opinion is mostly competition hunters that just want to win. Nothing wrong with competition but to shock a dog for chasing a coon, that's laughable to me. Just my thoughts on things. Honestly though coon dogs dont have to be beat or hit to be trained. Even if you don't have a shock collar you can cut a Hickory limb and hit it on the ground, a dog hates that and this can train a dog that they are wrong. Competition use to be about the quickest dog on the same track not about the dog that could get alone.

Old Post 08-28-2024 12:00 AM
bsilvers1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bsilvers1 Click here to Send bsilvers1 a Private Message Click Here to Email bsilvers1 Find more posts by bsilvers1 Add bsilvers1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote