UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pups
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
buff1978
UKC Forum Member

Pups

How does everyone pick a pup out of a litter.one that looks like mom,dad or is there other ways that you use.iam talking not using the old wives tales make sure the roof of the mouth is all black lol.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-09-2024 03:19 AM
buff1978 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buff1978 Click here to Send buff1978 a Private Message Find more posts by buff1978 Add buff1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J.R.__Ratliff
UKC Forum Member

You got to have that pup stand out to you and you got to really like it if you want to put the time in to it. Cause really who is going to put time in to something that they don’t like? You will know what I mean when I say stand out when you watch them eat and the color markings. I believe it was in John Wicks book Walking with Wick I read that he would let everyone else pick the pup he kept out of a litter, by just keeping the last pup left. I actually did that once and that pup made my best hound. I was stuck on keeping a female I’d picked out and ended up a male didn’t sell and I kept him also. Honestly he made the best hound I ever owned. Guess I grew to like him more as a pup cause I kinda looked at him like a reject and put more time in him. But there isn’t any science to picking a pup. Just good genetics in a litter will definitely up the odds of getting a good one.

Old Post 08-09-2024 11:09 AM
J.R.__Ratliff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.R.__Ratliff Click here to Send J.R.__Ratliff a Private Message Click Here to Email J.R.__Ratliff Visit J.R.__Ratliff's homepage! Find more posts by J.R.__Ratliff Add J.R.__Ratliff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Drafts
UKC Forum Member

Here’s my opinion. The majority out of every litter (if bred well) have the ability to make a nice dog. Its the time spent (or lack there of) with the pup at an early age. Discipline is key to starting a pup and it starts at weaning age. A person working 60 + hours a week is probably not going to have as good a dog as a retired person that spends time with the pup/dog every day. The other thing about picking a pup is knowing what you WILL and WONT tolerate in a dog. It is different for all of us. Me personally I don’t do well with a really hyper or some folks say “wired” dog. So there fore I am not going to choose one that is jumping all over the fence slinging crap everywhere and knocking food and water bowls over. There is a difference between bold and hyper, and there is also a difference between calm and shy. Last thing I would say is I agree with the above statement of pick something that catches your eye. Nobody puts time in to something that doesn’t interest them. You’re better off to spend the extra $ to get what will work for you, than to try and save a few dollars and end up giving it away in the end anyway

Old Post 08-09-2024 12:20 PM
Drafts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Drafts Click here to Send Drafts a Private Message Find more posts by Drafts Add Drafts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote