UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Slick treeing
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
buff1978
UKC Forum Member

Slick treeing

What's everyone's method for breaking dogs that are slick treeing.just curious to see how everyone does it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-04-2024 04:54 PM
buff1978 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for buff1978 Click here to Send buff1978 a Private Message Find more posts by buff1978 Add buff1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Since you asked how EVERYONE does it. I get another dog. People on here talk constantly about brains. A dog barking at a tree with nothing but leaves in it doesn't have much brains.

Last edited by shadinc on 09-04-2024 at 10:26 PM

Old Post 09-04-2024 05:40 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Drafts
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Since you asked how EVERYONE does it. I get another dog. People on here talk constantly about brains. A dog barking at a tree with nothing but leaves in it doesn't have much brains.

I agree!!
I would venture to say there are some dogs that are made into slick tree’rs. Too much caged game, too much praise at the tree, too much “Teasing” when they are pups leads to grown dogs that think barking “up” a tree is what theyre supposed to do.
On the flip side, the “tree” instinct has been bred in the majority of todays dogs TOO MUCH!
But to answer your question, I agree with Mr. Donald, I won’t put up with a slick tree’r. I will get another dog.

Old Post 09-05-2024 02:41 AM
Drafts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Drafts Click here to Send Drafts a Private Message Find more posts by Drafts Add Drafts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Slick tree dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Drafts
I agree!!
I would venture to say there are some dogs that are made into slick tree’rs. Too much caged game, too much praise at the tree, too much “Teasing” when they are pups leads to grown dogs that think barking “up” a tree is what theyre supposed to do.
On the flip side, the “tree” instinct has been bred in the majority of todays dogs TOO MUCH!
But to answer your question, I agree with Mr. Donald, I won’t put up with a slick tree’r. I will get another dog.

I agree with you and Donald, I will absolutely not own or feed a slick treeing dog. We are in thin to moderate coon populations and I hunt mountains or very steep ridges and will not hunt or follow a dog that misses a lot. No dog is perfect, but for me they better have the coon when they park. Dave

Old Post 09-05-2024 12:08 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buff1978
UKC Forum Member

Okay as said no dog is perfect.how much are you willing to put up percentage wise with slick trees.60%,70%,90%,95%.what's your line that you won't tolerate a dog.

Old Post 09-05-2024 02:17 PM
buff1978 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for buff1978 Click here to Send buff1978 a Private Message Find more posts by buff1978 Add buff1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Nothing

Under 90%

Old Post 09-05-2024 03:33 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Drafts
UKC Forum Member

Re: Nothing

quote:
Originally posted by OLD TIMER
Under 90%

X2

Old Post 09-05-2024 08:02 PM
Drafts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Drafts Click here to Send Drafts a Private Message Find more posts by Drafts Add Drafts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GES
UKC Forum Member

I'll answer the question that was asked.

1) I determine if the dog is actually slick (empty) or are they treeing flying squirrels or some other off game. Some people don't know the difference IMHO. If off game--easy, break them off trash.

2) If they are pulling up short and are young and just lack experience, then I send them on from the empty tree, encourage them to 'hunt for it'; 'find it'. You can usually see improvement pretty quick in a young dog and they'll learn to check the tree for a track going away.

4) If they are pulling up short do to being lazy and won't or can't go on from the empty tree cause they can't smell. I make them leave.........yes, whatever it takes. They'll all leave or bite you at some point. It takes a strong tree dog that really wants to tree a coon for this to work, but it can be done and they'll get way more accurate. It also takes some patience. They are going to leave some trees just before you get there cause they know its not going to be fun if you don't see a coon. If they truly cannot smell, then they'll become an ambush type dog and be miles away with one bushed.

Of course, its a lot easier with a naturally accurate, smart, trash free, solid tree dog, with a great nose.

I remember when people asked 'how do you get one to stay treed under pressure?"

Old Post 09-05-2024 10:33 PM
GES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GES Click here to Send GES a Private Message Find more posts by GES Add GES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote