UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What is the standard depth for concrete
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chester cooner
UKC Forum Member

What is the standard depth for concrete

trying to determine how much I will need for my kennel. 32x12x?

thanks
Rick

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-24-2010 07:05 PM
chester cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chester cooner Click here to Send chester cooner a Private Message Find more posts by chester cooner Add chester cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd Miller
UKC Forum Member

4" 3000 lbs mix with fibeglass in it.

Old Post 08-24-2010 07:11 PM
Todd Miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Miller Click here to Send Todd Miller a Private Message Find more posts by Todd Miller Add Todd Miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis L Wilkison
UKC Forum Member

4 inches

Home of GRNTCH What's Up Fred

Old Post 08-24-2010 07:11 PM
Travis L Wilkison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis L Wilkison Click here to Send Travis L Wilkison a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis L Wilkison Find more posts by Travis L Wilkison Add Travis L Wilkison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis L Wilkison
UKC Forum Member

if you give them the dimensions they should figure your yardage for ya but you might want to check with them cause most places around here wont deliver unless you get at least 3 yards. your prolly only gonna need 5 yds maybe a little more. Im not sure i didn't do the math.

Home of GRNTCH What's Up Fred

Last edited by Travis L Wilkison on 08-24-2010 at 07:52 PM

Old Post 08-24-2010 07:15 PM
Travis L Wilkison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis L Wilkison Click here to Send Travis L Wilkison a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis L Wilkison Find more posts by Travis L Wilkison Add Travis L Wilkison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

If your diminsions are 4"X12'X32' you are going to need a bit more than five (5) yards. A yard pours about eighty square feet, and you have 384 square feet, thats almost five yards and a bit more for waste. I hope there is someone on here that deals with this on a regular basis; I'm just a neophite. Tom

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 08-24-2010 07:24 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jabrown
UKC Forum Member

you have a 31x12 pen. You want to pour it 4 inches thick. One yard of concrete poured at 4 inches thick = 80 square feet roughly. So 31x12=372. 372/80=4.65. So it would be safe to order 5 yards of concrete for your project.

Joshua 24:15

Josh Brown
The Barber Shop
Cuba, MO
573-205-1391

Old Post 08-24-2010 07:24 PM
jabrown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jabrown Click here to Send jabrown a Private Message Click Here to Email jabrown Find more posts by jabrown Add jabrown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jabrown
UKC Forum Member

Sorry read it wrong. 32x12 you will need just under 5 yards(4.8) so unless you do an imaculate grade job you might want to order 5.5yards just to be safe.

Joshua 24:15

Josh Brown
The Barber Shop
Cuba, MO
573-205-1391

Old Post 08-24-2010 07:27 PM
jabrown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jabrown Click here to Send jabrown a Private Message Click Here to Email jabrown Find more posts by jabrown Add jabrown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brian-BleedzRed
Banned

Figure concrete = WxLxD/27

So a 12'x32'x .33" thick would= 4.6933333 yds

12x32=384x.33=126.72 divided by 27=4.6933333

You gona use a 2x4 to form with its only 3 1/2" so dont worry about adding to yardage as long as ya grade it out good you'll be fine.

Old Post 08-24-2010 07:45 PM
Brian-BleedzRed is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brian-BleedzRed Click here to Send Brian-BleedzRed a Private Message Click Here to Email Brian-BleedzRed Find more posts by Brian-BleedzRed Add Brian-BleedzRed to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PlottChaser
UKC Forum Member

I figure and pour concrete every day. And yep 5 yds is what you want. But I'm gonna disagree with one post above about using fiberglass (no offense Todd). I never use fiberglass on a kennel floor because a long time ago when we first started using it I learned that the fiberglass can harbor bacteria which is a bad idea for a kennel floor for obvious reasons. Instead use reinforcing wire mesh.

Hunting is one of those pleasures that you won't understand if you have to have it explained, which is good because folks who enjoy it can't fully explain why. -Ron Spomer

Old Post 08-24-2010 07:51 PM
PlottChaser is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PlottChaser Click here to Send PlottChaser a Private Message Click Here to Email PlottChaser Find more posts by PlottChaser Add PlottChaser to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chester cooner
UKC Forum Member

concrete

What is an average cost/yd for the fiberglass reinforced? You guys are ont he stick today!!!! Wouldn't it also be wise to spread a base of say crusher run down prior to pouring?

Old Post 08-24-2010 07:53 PM
chester cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chester cooner Click here to Send chester cooner a Private Message Find more posts by chester cooner Add chester cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd Miller
UKC Forum Member

Re: concrete

quote:
Originally posted by chester cooner
What is an average cost/yd for the fiberglass reinforced? You guys are ont he stick today!!!! Wouldn't it also be wise to spread a base of say crusher run down prior to pouring?

This is good idea, just order 5 to be sure, have someplace to poor the extra.

Old Post 08-24-2010 08:10 PM
Todd Miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Miller Click here to Send Todd Miller a Private Message Find more posts by Todd Miller Add Todd Miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thebigcat454545
UKC Forum Member

i always buy 1/4 yd more then i need. you figure concrete
length x width divided by 80. i used fibermesh for my kennels, didnt know about the bacteria fiber would have or hold. i keep my kennels clean, i figure its still better then dirt or gravel. if i was to redo i would consider using rebar because of the bacteria issue, fiber has held up real well. I would put a semi smooth/hand trowel finish on it, it wont be to slick for the dogs plus everything washes down nice. broom finish everything sticks to it and its hard to get real clean. i would also put a sealer on it every other yr.

937-407-0128

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein~

Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well. ~Josh Billings~

Old Post 08-24-2010 08:26 PM
thebigcat454545 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thebigcat454545 Click here to Send thebigcat454545 a Private Message Click Here to Email thebigcat454545 Find more posts by thebigcat454545 Add thebigcat454545 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chris baker
UKC Forum Member

Wouldn't the ends of the fiberglass get in the dogs feet? I know most of them will be trowled flat but surly some will be at or in the surface of the slab. I'd go with the rebar or wire mesh instead of the fiberglass.

Old Post 08-24-2010 11:31 PM
chris baker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chris baker Click here to Send chris baker a Private Message Find more posts by chris baker Add chris baker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PlottChaser
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by chris baker
Wouldn't the ends of the fiberglass get in the dogs feet? I know most of them will be trowled flat but surly some will be at or in the surface of the slab. I'd go with the rebar or wire mesh instead of the fiberglass.

Yeah that would be another concern of mine too. Concrete with fiberglass in it often looks "fuzzy" at least until it gets worn down some and I know it's not good for people to go barefoot on so I wonder if the fibers might stick in the dogs pads and cause problems too?

Hunting is one of those pleasures that you won't understand if you have to have it explained, which is good because folks who enjoy it can't fully explain why. -Ron Spomer

Old Post 08-24-2010 11:35 PM
PlottChaser is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PlottChaser Click here to Send PlottChaser a Private Message Click Here to Email PlottChaser Find more posts by PlottChaser Add PlottChaser to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

I AGREE ABOUT THE FIBERGLASS. AND MAKE SURE YOU USE REBAR FOR STRENGTH. GET THE EPOXY COATED. IT WILL HELP KEEP CONCRETE FROM SPALLING UP. WATER GOES INTO SMALLER CRACKS AND STARTS EXPOSED REBAR TO RUSTING WHICH WILL EXPAND AND BREAK CONCRETE. I SEE THIS EVERYDAY INSPECTING BRIDGES.

PS THANKS FOR THE MATH CLASSES ON FIGURING CONCRETE NEEDED.

IS FOUR INCHES THICK ENOUGH?

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Old Post 08-25-2010 12:17 AM
rmcmillan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmillan Click here to Send rmcmillan a Private Message Find more posts by rmcmillan Add rmcmillan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paints-n-cows
UKC Forum Member

Concrete here in central Illinois is running about $90/yard.

I also would put wire in the mix. You don't have to use anything fancy like rewire...you can use anything that will hold it together...chainlink fence, cattle panels, woven wire.

There are only two things guaranteed about concrete...it will get hard and it will crack.

And make sure that you pour it wet. It will make the guy(s) finishing it a lot happier. Trust me, I know....nothing like dry mix to make the day just a little bit more miserable.

Old Post 08-25-2010 12:42 AM
Paints-n-cows is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paints-n-cows Click here to Send Paints-n-cows a Private Message Click Here to Email Paints-n-cows Find more posts by Paints-n-cows Add Paints-n-cows to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Floyd leopards
UKC Forum Member

@ 4 '' it will take 4.74 yds ,fiber costs about $5.00 a yd ,here 3000 psi is $105.00 a yd .

Old Post 08-25-2010 12:57 AM
Floyd leopards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Floyd leopards Click here to Send Floyd leopards a Private Message Find more posts by Floyd leopards Add Floyd leopards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd Miller
UKC Forum Member

The ends of the fiber are gone right away, I ve used it forever never had a problem, besides dogs feet are a lot tougher than that. I always saw cut 10 x 10 sections or 5 x 10 sections 2/3 through the cement and you can save the cost of re-bar. Make sure you use 3000 or 3500 lbs mix and no cracks.

Old Post 08-25-2010 01:53 AM
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Miller
The ends of the fiber are gone right away, I ve used it forever never had a problem, besides dogs feet are a lot tougher than that. I always saw cut 10 x 10 sections or 5 x 10 sections 2/3 through the cement and you can save the cost of re-bar. Make sure you use 3000 or 3500 lbs mix and no cracks.

Good Advice. Concrete will expand and contract slightly due to temperature changes. The above advice basically allows for slight expansion and controlled crackage.

You should also allow for a slight grade for water runoff.

Here's how I calculate Cubic Yards :

At 4" Thick : (5 Cubic Yards)
(1) 12' x 32' = 384 Square Ft.
(2) 384 Sq. Ft. x 4"/12" = 128 Cubic Ft.
(3) 128 Cubic Ft. /27 Cubic Ft. per Cubic Yard = 4.74 Cubic Yards

At 5 1/2" Thick : (7 Cubic Yards)
(1) 12' x 32' = 384 Square Ft.
(2) 384 Sq. Ft. x 5.5"/12" = 176 Cubic Ft.
(3) 176 Cubic Ft./27 Cubic Ft. per Cubic Yard = 6.52 Cubic Yards

I use 5 1/2" because that's the width of the 2 x 6's that I'd frame with, and it allows for some variance in grading, and still gets me the 4-6" thickness.

Old Post 08-25-2010 04:01 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
K.Hanses
UKC Forum Member

Make sure to pack a good base under it too...

Even if it's just Washed sand, hell, probably bank run sand will work.

I prefer either crushed concrete or 2NS washed sand for a base. Compacted of course.

kevin.hanses@gmail.com

Kevin Hanses
Six Lakes, Michigan
989-640-5216

Old Post 08-25-2010 04:14 AM
K.Hanses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for K.Hanses Click here to Send K.Hanses a Private Message Click Here to Email K.Hanses Find more posts by K.Hanses Add K.Hanses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okie Dawg
UKC Forum Member

I make mine 3". It is thick enough for dog runs and a 2"x4" is about 1 3/4" x 2x3/4" so you can use 2"x4" forms with kickers and stakes to hold them in place. That leaves you room to add a little sand and in Okla. if you don't have some good sized rebar in it you will get cracks in it. Most use the fiberglass mixed in the mud these days but I like the wire. The rebar is to keep it from cracking and the wire is to keep it from seperateing if it does crack.
I allso like as smooth of finish as I can get. You can keep it cleaner easier and the cleaner the healthier for the dogs. It is like the kitchen floor. It is slick but they have no problem when they get use to it. It's been a long time since I poored much but I think a yard spread 3" thick covers 108 sq. ft.

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507
CH 'PR' Grady's Dark Woods Waylon -Bluetic

NITECH 'PR' Grady's Insane Tinker Bell (Tink) - Treeing walker --Okla. State Hunt open redg. winner

'PR' Grady's Barley - Treeing Walker

Old Post 08-25-2010 04:30 AM
Okie Dawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Okie Dawg Click here to Send Okie Dawg a Private Message Click Here to Email Okie Dawg Find more posts by Okie Dawg Add Okie Dawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PlottChaser
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Paints-n-cows

There are only two things guaranteed about concrete...it will get hard and it will crack.

Yep, I tell people this all the time. Anyone who says they can keep concrete from cracking is full of it! We just cut control joints in it and hope it cracks in them. But its only for appearance sake. In my kennel pad which is only 14'x10' I didn't cut control joints. I figured I'd rather have a hairline crack in it that caught nothing than an 1/8" cut in it that filled up with dog crap cause I was more worried about the functionality than the appearance of it. It has not cracked at all but it's also about 6-1/2" thick. 4" is enough I just tend to overkill stuff.

And, as someone said before, a good solid packed subgrade is as important as anything to keep cracking to a minimum. If the ground underneath of it settles, the concrete will crack and try to seperate. If not, it won't.

Old Post 08-25-2010 10:49 AM
PlottChaser
UKC Forum Member

Hey Okie a 2x4 measures 1-1/2"x 3-1/2". At least around here they do...LOL!

Old Post 08-25-2010 10:51 AM
Bruce M. Conkey

LxWxT divided by 27 is how you figure cubic yards

12 x 32 x .33 (4 inches)= 115.2 divided by 27 = 4.69 yards

12 x 32 x .25 (3 inches) = 96 divided by 27 = 3.5 yards

You could probably get by with 4 yards if you went 3 inches deep is most of the center area and stayed 4 inches deep around the edges. This should be plenty for your dogs but actually depends on the pens you are putting on the slab.

Last edited by on 08-26-2010 at 02:48 AM

Old Post 08-25-2010 01:03 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd Miller
UKC Forum Member

Cut 2/3 thru and your chances are it will be controlled, but I saw cut 10 x 10 sections and it has worked her in michigan and got to be one of the worst places to have cement. With al the frost !! I have a 100 x 48 pole barn 5" thick, 4000 lbs, and 10 x 10 saw cut sections 2/3 cut thru and we park Short Doubles on it and so far its cracked in the saw cuts and it has been there for 10 years.

Another good thing is to go by is preperation of what your pouring on, Good solid surface that won't wash away from under the cement after its poured.

Last edited by Todd Miller on 08-25-2010 at 04:38 PM

Old Post 08-25-2010 04:35 PM