UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Me too dog training
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bsilvers1
UKC Forum Member

Me too dog training

I'm seeing some guys shocking their hounds if it's not the first dog to strike. They say if it doesn't strike first it doesn't need to go to the same tree. In shocking there dogs in this situation they say it will learn to be independent and not tree with other dogs. My thoughts are you should never shock a dog for striking or treeing a coon. I'm interested in other people's thoughts, so let's hear all yalls thoughts. Also I'm not trying to stir the pot and I could care less how people train there dogs I just wouldn't use this method myself.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-27-2023 04:26 AM
bsilvers1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bsilvers1 Click here to Send bsilvers1 a Private Message Click Here to Email bsilvers1 Find more posts by bsilvers1 Add bsilvers1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Its a really dumb idea. Independence is not a taught. Fear is. Lots of young dogs are ruined through the ignorance of the person who thinks a shock control device is the only way to get their attention.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 06-27-2023 11:46 AM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Bourne
UKC Forum Member

Wait 10 years

In order to have hunts you will eventually need a dog ten years from now that can tree coon anywhere with anything, loners tend to get out of pocket. I want a legitimate first strike first tree dog, ifs it's slow to get first and first most of the time, I move on. Shocking to answer your question has ruined alot of dogs.

Old Post 06-27-2023 07:25 PM
Jason Bourne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Bourne Click here to Send Jason Bourne a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Bourne Find more posts by Jason Bourne Add Jason Bourne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsmith921
UKC Forum Member

Are you allowed to use the shock feature during competition hunts? If not do you have to get a new system that doesn’t have the shock feature to completion hunt? Hoping to get into comp hunting next year and was wondering.

Old Post 06-28-2023 12:16 AM
bsmith921 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bsmith921 Click here to Send bsmith921 a Private Message Click Here to Email bsmith921 Find more posts by bsmith921 Add bsmith921 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Bourne
UKC Forum Member

Leave it in the truck

I run a Garmin to tone my dog in afterwards, not to be used in the actual hunt, so the second Garmin has no shocking capabilities.Tracking only. Always tell your cast you have two units on your dog, you have nothing to hide.

Old Post 06-28-2023 01:59 AM
Jason Bourne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Bourne Click here to Send Jason Bourne a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Bourne Find more posts by Jason Bourne Add Jason Bourne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randywoodard2
UKC Forum Member

I have heard of a couple paying big money and then ruining them with shocking and beating on them

Pr.Woodards Late Night Trix

Old Post 06-30-2023 11:15 PM
randywoodard2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for randywoodard2 Click here to Send randywoodard2 a Private Message Click Here to Email randywoodard2 Find more posts by randywoodard2 Add randywoodard2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TN Quick Check
UKC Forum Member

Re: Leave it in the truck

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Bourne
I run a Garmin to tone my dog in afterwards, not to be used in the actual hunt, so the second Garmin has no shocking capabilities.Tracking only. Always tell your cast you have two units on your dog, you have nothing to hide.

You can't have a collar on that is capable of controlling the dog period in the hunt. In the old days you could have a shock collar on and the remote had to be left in the truck. You would be scratched for running that collar on your dog if you cut loose during hunt time.

Old Post 07-01-2023 08:03 PM
TN Quick Check is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TN Quick Check Click here to Send TN Quick Check a Private Message Click Here to Email TN Quick Check Find more posts by TN Quick Check Add TN Quick Check to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Knifeman
UKC Forum Member

Shocking

So your dogs out hunting when out of nowhere for no reason he gets shocked !?!? The competition world has gotten so far away from the reality of treeing coons , it just boggles my mind . I wonder how anyone chooses a stud dog . His abilities and characteristics aren’t a reflection of his genes but how voltage has formed him . Is Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi in charge of the rules for competition ? I’m outta here

Old Post 07-02-2023 05:42 AM
Knifeman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Knifeman Click here to Send Knifeman a Private Message Click Here to Email Knifeman Visit Knifeman's homepage! Find more posts by Knifeman Add Knifeman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

The independence that makes the best competition dogs is determined at the moment of fertilization. Anything else is induced by humans. Electronic training collars in the hands of a fool is a travesty for his/her dog.

Old Post 07-02-2023 02:06 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Re: Shocking

quote:
Originally posted by Knifeman
I wonder how anyone chooses a stud dog . His abilities and characteristics aren’t a reflection of his genes but how voltage has formed him .

Well put .....

Old Post 07-02-2023 10:27 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Shocking

quote:
Originally posted by Knifeman

I wonder how anyone chooses a stud dog . His abilities and characteristics aren’t a reflection of his genes but how voltage has formed him . Is Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi in charge of the rules for competition ? I’m outta here [/B]

Good observation Dogwhisper and agree with the “well put “…
Years ago I came to the same conclusion…

a while back there was an epigenetic study on shocking mice to discourage a certain behavior in the offspring and the scientists were able to see the change in in the offspring and for two more generations…

Epigenetics is the study of gene manipulation through environmental changes to get a different result…
They say DNA is fixed so certain behaviors will remain the same…but through epigenetics some of the genes around the DNA will be turned on and others turned off thus changing the behavior in the offspring and sometimes for several generations or more…

Old Post 07-03-2023 02:36 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

While shocking can very easily ruin the dog…using it sparingly and at the right time can speed up the training process…

It seems to me that winning at all costs is more important than producing a well rounded hunting dog for some…and for others it is the other way around…

Old Post 07-03-2023 02:50 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote