UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Big Game Hunting > Another "Best of" post
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Travis Stirek
UKC Forum Member

Another "Best of" post

Hell cat got me thinking.Lets hear what the best bear dog,best lion dog and best bobcat dogs ya ever hunted with,who owned them and a little about each dog that made them the best of their game.
heres my choices-
Beardog-a tie between a walker owned by my father in law named Rock and a little plott named Becky that we owned the last four years of her life.Rock was one of those one dog bear packs that if he barked more than three times you better dump the box or they weren't going to get any part of the race.Between the bear we caught with her and her previous owners Becky was a main part of over five hundred bear.You talk about grit she had her tail completely bit off by a bear.And had her private parts bit off so she peed straight out behind her.
Lion dog-Strawberry mt Korn,If he barked twice on a track it was caught.The best sight tracking dog I've ever seen.Raised by Troy Ward in Ohio and owned by us later in his life.
Best Bobcat dog-A grade walker raised by me named RJ.My last year of really hunting bobs hard I caught 57 bobcat with him and his dad Russell.Of those RJ caught 22 on the ground by himself.He was the most impressive track dog I've ever seen.And the funny thing was he was a babbling idiot that was barking from the time he left the house till the time he got home LOL.Had to just turn him and Russell loose together cause there was no way of knowing when he was jumped.LOL

Nt Ch Southern Sound Jimbo
Gr Nt Ch Ch Southern Sound Matlock
Gr Nt Ch Strawberry Mt Korn
Pr Strawberry Mt Sadie
The reason I hunt this bloodlines is a quote an old friend gave me,"Your either making dust or your eating it."

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-22-2007 03:44 AM
Travis Stirek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Stirek Click here to Send Travis Stirek a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Stirek Find more posts by Travis Stirek Add Travis Stirek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jackbob42
UKC Forum Member

Bear - Toss up between Witch , Peg , and Clutch ( walkers ) and Spade ( B&T ). They all had weaks as well as strong points that seemed to compliment one another very well.

Bobcat - A bluetick named Rattler. Never got enough credit from his owner and so was never turned loose enough at the start. Died way too young for his owner to realize what he had.

Never hunted Lion. but I'd put Rattler down on one in a minute , and bet on Rattler.

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Old Post 07-23-2007 01:36 AM
jackbob42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jackbob42 Click here to Send jackbob42 a Private Message Find more posts by jackbob42 Add jackbob42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
packers
New UKC Forum Member

best bear dog lady(walker) owned by andy sippl came from some of travis stirek good breeding.ther isnt a dog thats faster or hunts harder than her...

Old Post 07-23-2007 06:51 PM
packers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for packers Click here to Send packers a Private Message Find more posts by packers Add packers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Stirek
UKC Forum Member

oh I hope Lady is well enough from the Lyme disease to run this weekend when Bobbie and I get there.Andy said she was on her dog house barking wanting to go last weekend.Brians bitches are probably still in heat.Leaving Thursday.

Pr Strawberry Mt Sadie
The reason I hunt this bloodlines is a quote an old friend gave me,"Your either making dust or your eating it."

Old Post 07-24-2007 12:45 AM
Travis Stirek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Stirek Click here to Send Travis Stirek a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Stirek Find more posts by Travis Stirek Add Travis Stirek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Stirek
UKC Forum Member

Can't believe you Lightfoot guys don't have a response to this one.LOL

Pr Strawberry Mt Sadie

Old Post 07-25-2007 01:48 PM
Todd K / UKC
Administrator

O.K., I wanna play this game. I'll qualify my opinion with the fact that I have only run bear with dogs about 10 days and bobcats maybe a few less than that. That being said, I can't say I noticed any of the bear dogs dominate the pack. Either that or I really didn't know what I was watching / listening to.

But on bobcats, would you say a dog that catches it's cat every time it could take the track is pretty good? lol I think in the two consecutive winters that I hunted with Joe and Nancy Hudson, their Susie female caught every cat that we started when I was there. Several under piles and several treed but I don't remember having to pick her up once. And never need a lead strap when checking tracks or walking out (maybe they all do that but I was impressed).

Susie is a Rock River bred dog and getting some age on her but smart, straight, a track dog, and a sure locator. She's the kind I want.

Old Post 07-25-2007 02:10 PM
Todd K / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd K / UKC Click here to Send Todd K / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd K / UKC Find more posts by Todd K / UKC Add Todd K / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote