UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Blueticks: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion > Bogue Chitto Blues
Pages (87): « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

RAIN

Rain turned 5 months old on 6th of this month and put out a couple live traps the other day and caught 2 coon. I turned one loose Thursday for her that I had caught behind the house and she smoked him for a quarter mile and got close to road so I caught her up. She didn't like to be caught. That was first live coon I have turned out for her. This evening Mr. B H came over for a hunt tonight and I cut the other one loose for her and she picked the track up fast and lit out but he didn't go far and she hit the tree like a pro. Wife made video I will post in next day or so. She was standing on the big water oak just a spitting them out and he was there. Mason had his little light on helping me find him even though it wasn't dark yet, he had a blast watching that pup tree. She is a small female, hoping she gets more size to her and her mouth comes around better. Pretty good volume on tree but lacking on track. She is a super smart, natural that is going to make a fine little hound.
We put her up and went on up to Black Branch Swamp and cut Max and Bo. They split treed on first drop after working a rough track for half hour or so and moving it good but bumping a few trees and finally settled. Big bushy oaks they both were on and didn't find him in either tree. Cut them again and they worked another rough track for a while and got in there deep and treed. We road through the one real bad spot in the swamp and got within a 100yds of them. Big water oak this time that I couldn't find a spot I could shine from that I could see it except straight up. Didn't find him but felt like they had this one, think they missed on the split trees. Good Hunting!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-18-2014 05:07 AM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

RAIN

This is a video of RAIN TREED Friday evening on a turned out coon. She is super fast on track and hit this tree like she did the 2 drags I laid over a month ago. She is still to young and small to take at night with BO but will cut her by herself once a week on bucket feeder over the next month and see how it goes. So far I love what I have seen from this pup since the first day she got here and took to the river like an otter.

Old Post 10-19-2014 03:27 AM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

Guage X Alice pups

Hi Steve, It is good to see your Rain pup progressing. Mine are also doing well and had their first turn out coon Sunday night. My buddy Bill came over to lend me a hand and we had some fun watching those two young dogs do what they were bred to do. find that tree, and tree. And they did it right! The female was wanting to run head up and wind and the male we are not sure how he did it but he treed first with her not too far behind. What a great feeling seeing those two little hounds straight up on that big oak with a coon about 30 feet above them. I did my job and was again impressed with that outcome also. Good breeding I would say! My Roxy female from the Piazon Alice cross died way too young but I may be able to fill that void with one of these Alice pups. Good luck with your hounds and I enjoy your thread. Ron Jackson

Last edited by Ron Jackson on 10-22-2014 at 12:49 AM

Old Post 10-22-2014 12:45 AM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

COON HUNTING

Thanks Ron, seems like these GAUGE X ALICE pups came here ready to hunt and tree coon. Rain has the drive and desire we all love to see in any hound regardless of age. Cut her out and she don't play with the other 2 pups, she hits the woods. Never saw one so young with so much go. Glad to here your pups have it to. It is sure fun and makes it much easier on us when they are BORN with the natural born ability, brains and nose to get it done.
Hunted BO alone last night and first drop he hit a track at 241yds and opened here and there and treed in same area but I could tell he didn't like it and sure enough after about a minute he moved on. He opened 11 more times and was at 761yds and close to a little county road so I drove 4-wheeler around and caught him going under small bridge. I hated to catch him off that track as that's the kind we like to see them finish with a coon in the tree but if they get near a road regardless of how little traffic travels the road I'm catching them up.
Went up road into Black Branch Swamp and cut him again. He hunted hard for almost an hour and didn't open once until on the way out. I usually just ease through the swamp on 4-wheeler on way out and let him hunt out a few hundred yards to either side. this was case last night as he was on my left but came in and crossed in front of me close and I decided to load him up and come in. I called out to him but he had his nose down and ignored me and hit the woods to the right. I could tell he smelled coon but it was a old track. I watched him on Garmin and at 90yds he opened once, 133yds opened twice, 156yds twice again and at 177yds located and treed. Rode around and he was on edge of field on huge water oak loaded with acorns. I looked and looked from the field side but never found him. Really wanted to put this coon on him. BO is working tougher and tougher tracks. He will be 16 months on Sunday. Good Hunting!

Old Post 10-22-2014 01:14 PM
Kenny357
UKC Forum Member

Steve, you'e got Bo going well for a 16 mth old. I have been hunting his brother some but he isn't nearly as far as long as Bo. He trees and sounds real similar to Bo. I hope to have him going real good by the end of winter. I will be breeding Sally back to Bo her next time in which should be around Dec. or Jan.

Old Post 10-22-2014 04:07 PM
Kenny357 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kenny357 Click here to Send Kenny357 a Private Message Click Here to Email Kenny357 Find more posts by Kenny357 Add Kenny357 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

BRIAR

Mason and Briar playing in the river the other day. This is what we call the DOG DAYS of SUMMER.

Old Post 10-24-2014 12:11 AM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

BRIAR

I love this latest pup we got. He is bold and has attitude to spare and not scared of anything.

Old Post 10-24-2014 12:15 AM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

MASON

Mason is already a show champion now we working on his Night Champion Degree!

Old Post 10-24-2014 12:24 AM
BEST EVER
Banned

A good looking young man and his good looking Blue dog, what else could a guy as for! You can't start them too young. When you get old you will enjoy them going with you every night, believe me I know!

GRNTCHGRCH PR Super Blue Riptide
GRNITECH 'PR' Prairie Creek Blue Big Horn

Mark Robbins Home : 812-547-1358 cell 812-309-8290
Corey Robbins Cell : 812-608-1645 / Home 812-547-2775

Old Post 10-24-2014 04:56 AM
BEST EVER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BEST EVER Click here to Send BEST EVER a Private Message Find more posts by BEST EVER Add BEST EVER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

PLEASURE HUNTING WITH FRIENDS

Last night MR. B H Patterson and MR. Jack Smith came over for a hunt. MR. B H had Max, MR. Jack had Doll V and I took BO and Bell. We hit the same old, sorry feed tracks I been getting on for two weeks. Can't seem to hit a good or hot track lately. We made several trees up water oaks but couldn't find them. They sounded good treeing together and we had a good time visiting. The Ole Coyotes were cutting up in the swamp in a couple different places. Many years ago when hunting a few young hounds together if you didn't get after some good coon tracks you most likely were going to listen to some junk running in a place like Black Branch Swamp. Its full of deer, yotes, wild hog, dillars , possums, ect. Sure is nice to have some young ones that when you cut them you aren't stressing out on every bark until they hit a tree. Naturally straight is a sign of good breeding that makes for some Good Hunting!

Old Post 10-25-2014 09:38 PM
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

Hi Steve Just want to let you know that I took Rains littermate brother tonight by himself for a hunt, after seeing him on 2 turn out coon I felt it was worth a try just to see what he might do. Well do he did! Went in and struck a track about 60 yds from me and worked it around in a grown up swampy area that seemed to be coony a few weeks back lots of tree limbs and debri but after about 6 mins he found himself a tree he liked and lit it up! He had his coon laid up in a crotch about 20 feet up! I was on cloud nine for sure.. Let him tree for a few mins and went in on him. Gave him a little acknowledgment that I was pleased and did my part. I won't over do it because he is so young but man it makes me want to take him more than I should. I will play it smart with him and not over do it. I will take his sister on monday and see how she handles it. Sorry for rambling on your thread. Ron

Last edited by Ron Jackson on 10-26-2014 at 05:17 AM

Old Post 10-26-2014 03:06 AM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

GAUGE X ALICE

RON, that's awesome to hear! I bet you were some proud and I'm proud for you. I know what you mean about wanting to take them more but knowing they are still a bit to young. I have been riding Rain around on 4 - wheeler during the day getting her used to it and I put some dog food in a feeder yesterday here by the house. I wasn't going tonight as I have been going hard hunting each night and sawmilling some but since you shared your great hunt with me I think I will get off this couch and walk Rain to the feeder and see what happens! Take Care and Good Hunting!

Last edited by steve bankston on 10-26-2014 at 03:17 AM

Old Post 10-26-2014 03:15 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

coonhunt

Steve I sure enjoyed the fellowship and our hunt the other night. It was good to see Mr. B.H.Patterson again It had been a couple of years. Bo sure did look and sound good especially on that last tree in there by himself. I am sure sorry about your rifle, I hope you were able to get it cleaned up and the sights working right again. Take care Steve and we'll sure have to do it again soon as I can get a dog back to working again .

Old Post 10-26-2014 05:05 PM
Misty river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Misty river Click here to Send Misty river a Private Message Click Here to Email Misty river Find more posts by Misty river Add Misty river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Hunting

MR. Jack I got that rifle cleaned up and sighted back in. It wasn't off much.
Been hunting several nights since we went and its the same old story. Don't get a strike after a couple drops with BO hunting out around 600yds then looping back my way or either a couple bawls here and there then hit a tree but don't stick. In a slump is an understatement that sums up the last 3 weeks. Took Bell with Bo tonight and they bumped around on a crummy track and settled on a huge gum that was hollow. I came on in after that tree. Maybe the front that's coming will help pick the action up a little. Supposed to get back in the lower 40's starting tomorrow night. I wanted to go to the MS. State Championship hunt this weekend but BO better show me something in the next couple nights or I might just take Bell. Maybe I should lay him up a couple weeks and put my time in Bell. I haven't hunted her hardly any by herself since I got her as she was so independent I felt she sure didn't need alone hunting time. But maybe that's what would work best for both of them. Next few nights has to get better.

Old Post 10-29-2014 04:07 AM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

BO and BELL

Went to Black Branch Swamp last night and took both hounds. Cut them up the branch and they struck at 335yds and rolled out of there. Best track they have hit in weeks. Bell hit the tree at near 800yds and I drove 4-wheeler to within 280yds and walked the rest of way in. The last 100yds was BAD. Swamp grass, cattails, saw briars blown down rotting timber, 6 inches of standing water ect. BO wasn't treeing and was opening about 75yds out in the stuff from where Bell was treed. She was on a medium size gum and he wasn't there. I would have scolded her and cut her to BO but it was so bad in there I just kept her hooked up and waited to see if BO could find him but he didn't. I headed out leading Bell and calling Bo and right before we got to 4-wheeler he felled treed on a huge turkey pine that was full of limbs and I couldn't find him. I don't know how they lost that coon as they ran him hard for 15 minutes or so and it was thick where they were at but that little water and grass should have left plenty scent for them to locate the right tree. Frustrating. I know they are both still young and hounds go through some slumps and bumps but I sure wish it would smooth out pretty quick and start treeing some coon. Testing my nerves. Gotta love it because I'm cutting them in same place tonight. Coons luck is gonna run out and mine get better I hope. Good Hunting!

Old Post 10-30-2014 06:37 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

BO and BELL

Hunt started off bad but ended up good tonight. MR. B H came over and brought Max and his Grand Daughter's pup which is a year old and never been hunting. Just ran loose around their house and just started treeing during the day and running rabbits. We went to the swamp and cut loose and Bell got after something that went through the woods Fast for about 1000yds with Bo staying in behind her but not opening and Max only every now and then but he went too. She was screaming and showed me she could darn sure fly on a track even if it wasn't right. Ended up getting treed on big white oak, Max on a gum and Bo on neither. Max tree was slick but I feel Bell had one but couldn't get him to look. We started out of there and Bo caught up to us and I loaded him up. MR. B H give me a scare when he turned over sideways with his 4- wheeler but he is ok and we got it back on all 4 and rolled on. Cut them again and didn't get a strike so rode to another place and turned loose again. They got after a decent track and Bell hit a tree at 306yds and Max locked down with her. Riding to them we stopped to listen and BO was to our right treed at 103yds. I went to him and hooked him up then went on to Bell. She was on a big water oak with a lot of small trees all around. Couldn't find anywhere I could get a light up the tree. She was screaming on this one and so was Max and I feel for sure they had him. Got her to 4 -wheeler and rode back near BO. Went in to him and found the coon pretty quick. What a relief! This dry spell he has been in was really wearing on me and sure was glad he got hooked, stayed hooked and had the meat. I knocked it out to him and we went back out to 4-wheelers and shook that coon at B H's pup and she went nuts trying to get it from me. Hung him up and she got on the wood and hammered. She has a loud moth on her that sounds real good. Set a live trap and going to catch one for her and Rain the next day or so and cut him loose after dark then go cut them loose. His pup showed a lot of desire and no shyness for her first trip ever so I feel she's gonna be fun to get started for him. All in all a Good Hunt! Finally!

Old Post 10-31-2014 05:17 AM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

BO

I decided not to go to the MS. State Champ hunt yesterday evening as BO hasn't looked like a champ lately. So MR. B h and I went back to the swamp and cut Max and BO. They struck a fair track at 350yds and moved it in deeper into the swamp and treed at over 700yds. We drove as far as we could but it was still 440yds in to them. They were treed good until I got 159yds from them and both hounds hushed at the same time. I watched the Garmin and they moved around opening only here and there and I thought sure they would get back on it but NO. They went over another 500yds deeper into the swamp and finally fell treed again. I got into them and they were treed up a little gum tree with a half grown coon setting in the top. I know dang well they didn't trail that little fellow through all that swamp. Hooked Bo up and left the coon to run another day and started out. Max usually follows me out but he ran all over the swamp a couple hundred yards to either side and behind me opening and locating up half a dozen trees on way out. When I finally stumbled out of swamp at 10;30pm on that trek to one tree with a little coon I told B H that was the last time those 2 hounds would hunt together for a LONG TIME. I cant stand a hound to hit a tree and tree good until I get in there then leave much less 2 of them doing it. BO will be hunted by himself from this point on until I get him straightened out and back to doing what I know he can do. Not blaming Max for Bo's problem but it don't help to have a dog running around locating up a bunch of trees and not sticking. One thing I can say for Bell, wrong or right when she trees it don't make a darn what the others are doing, she stays. Time changes this weekend so it will get darker an hour quicker so I will hunt BO by himself for a couple hours, drop him at house and take Bell by herself for a couple. When MR. B H comes for a hunt Bell can go with Max. Hope everyone else is having some Good Hunting!

Old Post 11-01-2014 12:32 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

RAIN

This is video of RAIN treed right at dark tonight on her first wild coon down by the slough behind the house. I took her down there and she hit a hot track and ran it 200yds and treed solid up this turkey pine like a pro. Not quite 6 months old yet. Natural little hussy with a lot of desire. Gonna be a keeper I think, time will tell but looking good so far. Click on picture or X to see video and some Good Hunting!

Old Post 11-04-2014 12:26 AM
Scot Crandall
UKC Forum Member

Wow she sure sounds good!!

Old Post 11-04-2014 01:25 AM
Scot Crandall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Scot Crandall Click here to Send Scot Crandall a Private Message Find more posts by Scot Crandall Add Scot Crandall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

Steve my male pup (HOOK) Treed a layup the other night he was off by 1 tree about 10 feet shows great potential the female (Speck) is coming along real good also. She seems to be able to push a track hard and is also a nice tree dog.

Old Post 11-04-2014 02:08 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

Rain

She sounds good Steve!!!
Darren

HOME OF:
GrChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue S&H’s Goose (Sparks&Hollis)
GrChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue Hardwood Cotton
GrNtCh PR Mose's Pink Floyd ( Co-Owned with Scott V)
Ch GrNtCh PR Frost Hollow Strap
ChNtCh PR Southern Blue Hardwood Dolly
ChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue Spanky ( Hollis & Hollis)
PR Southern Blue Cobb (NtChCh Uchtmans Andy x Ratliffs Blue Tell)
PR Southern Blue Betsy (Goose x Dual Grand Cotton)
(REST IN PEACE)
GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Moonshine
GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Frostbite
NtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Queen
NtChGrCh PR Blue Eyes Blue Jessie
NtCh PR Southern Frost Hollow Blue Bell(BB)
NtCh PR Southern Blue Hammer
NtCh PR Hollis' Southern Blue Maggie
NtCh PR Hollis' Bull Mtn. Pearl
GrCh PR Southern Blue Jet
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler
GrChGrNtCh PR Lovell’s Smokey River Blue Ann

Old Post 11-04-2014 02:11 PM
Darren Hollis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darren Hollis Click here to Send Darren Hollis a Private Message Click Here to Email Darren Hollis Find more posts by Darren Hollis Add Darren Hollis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Danny Glista
UKC Forum Member

Rain

Steve,good to see things going well for you and Rain!! Seems like maybe some cream will come to the top with this cross! I know I like what I'm seeing out of mine and others see the same! Good luck with her,Danny G.

Old Post 11-05-2014 01:54 AM
Danny Glista is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Danny Glista Click here to Send Danny Glista a Private Message Click Here to Email Danny Glista Find more posts by Danny Glista Add Danny Glista to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

RAIN

Thanks guys! She has the desire, brains and nose power to be a good one and sounds like most all of the litter are showing the same great traits. Ron sounds like yours is really clicking for being so young. Rain goes through the woods with her head up a lot too. Like Danny said on his thread, they are still very young and I sure don't want to start hunting her now and she start some bad habits like babbling. I will only hunt her a night or two a week by herself and only for an hour or less. Her voice is changing some now and getting a little more volume. Time will tell but looking good so far.
Took BO by himself last night for a couple drops in the swamp and 1st drop no strike. 2nd drop he worked a ragged track around in some boggy swamp area and got treed on a big hollow cottonwood. No coon seen but he stayed put and that's what I've been ticked with him about here lately, not staying hooked. But we working on it and I have faith he will come back around and get right soon. Good Hunting!

Old Post 11-05-2014 02:32 PM
david woofter
UKC Forum Member

Hi Steve

Took Bell's Sire ( Ruger ) out last night. Hadn't hunted him for a while. First tree he just came treed in about 250 yards and when I got there the tree was in a bunch of brairs and Honey suckle vines. It was slick. Poplar tree. Like daughter like Father.LOL! Got him from there and treed one on an oak tree. Took him to another place treed one on an oak. Started to rain on the way back to the truck. As I was walking on an old logging road with the rain coming down Ruger went up on his hind legs and went nuts with that big mouth so I went ahead and cut him and he went about 15 yards and locked a pin oak down and had a coon sitting there. He was 3 for four so I guess that was alright but like Bell right or wrong once he trees you will have to go get the big bawl mouth thing. I called my old friend Bill Goode and let him listen to him as he has hunted with my females but not Ruger. Good luck with your Rain pup she sounds good. Dave** Forgot my camera at work or I would have posted a picture of Bell's sire.

Old Post 11-06-2014 12:32 PM
david woofter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for david woofter Click here to Send david woofter a Private Message Click Here to Email david woofter Find more posts by david woofter Add david woofter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

CUTTING SINKER CYPRESS

The past few weeks I've been sawmilling some sinker cypress that I pulled from the river this past year. This is a passion of mine and occupied my life when I wasn't coon hunting those years that I had quit. Still love pulling these logs and cutting them but the older I get the worse I hurt at the end of the day. Thought I would share a couple pictures with yaw.

Old Post 11-06-2014 11:02 PM