UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Gardening Thread
Pages (19): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Tar good idea on the squash! And that's alot of freaking beets I don't blame Mrs. Tar for not wanting to can all those!
Rained here again last night. We have had several inches in the last week. It rained 4" last Friday night alone.
Rex my mom still cans everything and grandma too. Good thing is I just take them last year's jars if I'm too busy and they send them back filled. Grandma used to bury her potatoes in the ground. She would line a hole with straw put the potatoes in then cover with straw and dirt, they keep all through the winter. I wish I had a root cellar! Been thinking if I could ever get the husband on board to help me build a root/storm cellar out in the backyard. He sleeps through the storms so probably will never happen unless I hire it done lol.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-17-2017 04:50 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Jen can goods always make good inexpensive Christmas gifts after you give them a couple yrs they look forward to them.

Old Post 08-17-2017 05:26 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We've froze squash after we deep fried them, might have to try ur way, tar....just thought they wouldn't keep if they were raw since u have to blanch most veggies to freeze them.
If we get deer bologna made, we give alot of it and jerky we make away for Christmas presents. A couple of yrs, we had quite a few apples I dehydrated them and gave them away, too. The last few yrs, we've had late frosts and don't get much fruit, but blueberries.
We're finally getting some rain, hope its enough to revive my cantaloupes.

Old Post 08-18-2017 02:12 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Getting squash from the seeds u sent me, Jen. Deer keep eating the okra....its a new dish for deer around here, guess they like it.
Cut a nice big cantaloupe yesterday. ...no taste😞 Think its been to dry for them.. Got a good rain today, but probably too late for the cukes and lopes. Froze 4 heads (26 pts) of cabbage and some broccoli today. Corn isn't ready yet...shouldn't be too much longer.

Old Post 08-23-2017 04:26 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Awesome that those seeds are doing good I was worried with it being late when you got them. And those deer are smart okra is good stuff! I will post my recipe on cooking it. I have never had deer bologna before. I always make plenty of deer jerky but with Dalton Cummings around it's like the salsa I can never make enough lol.
Tar my grandma makes us all baskets with goodies in it for Christmas and she throws in some homemade breads, we always look forward to it! I make packages with cookies and candy for my neighbors every year and they have a thing for my pickles.
We have had plenty of rain here the past couple of weeks. My yard is greener than in May! Chey has been having to mow every few days, not that he minds though. I am still working on getting him to give up part of the yard for me a bigger garden spot. There is a good sunny spot on the south side that would be perfect! With the rain everything is still doing good in the garden. I would like to get some seeds in the ground this weekend for a little fall garden before we leave for AO on Tuesday. I hadn't planted any cabbage or broccoli and your talk of them has got me wanting some. Going to try and get some tomatoes and salsa canned this evening.

Fried Okra
Slice okra into bite size pieces discard ends
Enough buttermilk to cover okra. I usually use reg milk with a splash of vinegar because I never have buttermilk on hand.
2 parts cornmeal to 1 part flour
Salt & pepper to taste
Dash of cayenne pepper if you want a little zip
Mix all dry ingredients in a large zip lock baggie
Use a slotted spoon to spoon and drain okra and place a little at a time in the zip lock, shake around then remove and deep dry till golden brown.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-24-2017 05:25 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Beets are up and looking great. Guess what everybody is getting on jar of in their Christmas basket lol Mrs tars beet pickles all of them like them tho. I am planting turnips next week I like the greens and I eat the turnips raw with salt might plant some radishes too.

Old Post 08-24-2017 08:45 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the recipe, Jen. Never bought corn meal and doubt, there's any flour here. But the okra isn't big enough yet. Do u have an okra recipe that takes wine, whiskey or margaritas? I just got a couple of bottles for my bday.
There are a few places around here that make venison bologna ane hot sticks. We made it one yr, but Chuck didn't like it as much...he eats most of what we don't give away so he might as well spend the $ and get what he likes instead of taking a day making something he doesn't.

Old Post 08-25-2017 05:32 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

No okra recipes that require any booze but would be great as a snack to go along with a good margarita, like Chex mix only better. Speaking of that I've had all 3 grandkids most of the week the oldest is almost 5, his 20mo old brother and the 4mo old baby girl. This nana is beat and could use something cold in a glass when the day is done! Today we are working up tomatoes I didn't get to yesterday. We usually have some of one deer made into snack sticks and summer sausage they do part of it hot with jalapeno and cheese, good stuff. I will ask them if they do bologna and try some if they do. I got your card today thank you!
Tar one of the beets I have been growing are candy striped red and white they are really pretty when canned. The Bakers Creek Seed Co we go to has any old world/heirloom variety of any seed you can think of, the stuff grandma grew you can't find any more.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-25-2017 07:41 PM
oklared
UKC Forum Member

ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF WHITE MOLD ON PECANS

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 08-27-2017 01:37 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Some of mine got it too I don't think it hurts nothing.

Old Post 08-27-2017 01:42 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Jen, is there a difference in the taste of the striped beets? I have purple asparagus, I like the taste of eat better than the grn.
20 month and a 4 month....that does sound like a busy time. The only baby in our family is Chuck's great nephew, but we've only seen him once because they live in VA. He's over a yr old now.
One store around here makes bologna with leeks in it and one makes it with jalapeņo peppers in it. I like both. They all seem to make it with cheese in it, but I think it gets mushy, I don't buy it.
I thought the card was cute. Read it to Chuck and he said he didn't think I made it a whole day 😃.
We had sweet corn and tomato sandwiches for supper tonight. Corn (Silver Queen) was from the neighbor, tomatoes were out of our garden....getting lots now. I've been giving them away to friends.

Old Post 08-28-2017 03:36 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

There isn't much difference in the taste of the stripped beets but they are prettier. When you can them you do have to leave a little of the tops on when blanching them or they lose the red and will just be white. Our tomatoes are all still going strong but the corn has been done for a while.
Oklared, I know nothing about pecan trees but that is powdery mildew on them, idk if will hurt anything tar seems to think not. You can get rid of powdery mildew on plants a variety of ways some of which would be impractical for a tree. Milk and water is a good solution for roses, squash ect. but I wouldn't want to have to buy that much milk lol, dish soap with a little baking soda in a sprayer also works. Your best bet would probably be to treat with sulfur many use it on fruit trees by spraying. Powdery mildew can affect the harvest of other fruits and vegetables if you had a pecan farm it may cut your crop. There are several pecan farmers around here and my daughter's boyfriend is an Ag major I will see what they recommend for treatment. The Ag major teases me about my organic gardening and tells me we could not feed the world that way. I tell him I could care less about feeding the world I just need to feed my family and I'm not eating pesticides if I can help it.
Pecans are one of my favorite things in the world! I made a batch of homemade butter pecan ice cream for my mom's birthday a while back and we had apple crisp to go along with. If anyone likes to make homemade ice cream and wants the recipe let me know and I will post.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-28-2017 06:14 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Jen I cut a pecan open while ago that had it on it looked normal I thought maybe it's because of all the rain we been getting I will see at this point it's to late to spray so I will just have to live with what ever happens. Just like to have enough for pies anyways.

Old Post 08-28-2017 09:59 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Darn deer came in and just about wiped out the garden!! Squash, and okra look like they got scalped by a lawnmower. Peppers don't look much better. There's a huge cornfield across the rd and soybeans on top of the hill, guess they feel safer in our backyard.

Old Post 09-07-2017 05:53 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

My son has been working on his food plot after reading your post I told him he may need to just plant a garden over there lol. We live in a clearing in the woods that's loaded with deer but having all these walker pups running loose keeps them away from our yard lol.
My daughter and I have been making more baby food for the little one. Her first food was green beans which she didn't seem to mind, thank goodness because I made plenty!
My tomatoes and okra are still going but the tomatoes are not getting as big as during mid-summer. The plants are starting to die back a little. Fall has been in the air with much cooler nights. My squash plants were pretty well dead when we got home from AO, I don't think my daughter that still lives at home remembered to water them when we were gone. They are all planted in around Cheyenne's flowers and not with everything else. She takes care of the place when we are gone and feeds and waters the dogs so I didn't complain about losing a few plants. She is hoping to someday own a little piece of land that she can start a pumpkin patch and Christmas tree farm on. She becomes more like me everyday lol. I don't know of any other 22 year old women who even like to garden much less want to start a small business off of it. Nearly every evening this summer she has been outside after working saving seeds from flowers to transplant and digging in the dirt with me. We tease her about STILL living at home but she knows we don't care if she ever moves out.
I still haven't got any fall plants started, life has been busy lately!
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 09-12-2017 03:37 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Tell him to plant squash and okra, they got a head of cabbage, too. It wasn't ready when the rest were. Chuck planted turnips in our food plots.
We've been eating lots of sweetcorn and tomato sandwiches...yum. I got 3 okra pods before the deer ate my plants. I ate one raw and boiled the other 2.

Old Post 09-14-2017 05:33 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I have never eaten a raw okra pod, always fried, pickled or in gumbo. Dalton had Chey and I go help move his 100ft tall deer stand yesterday. Well a 100ft is an exaggeration but it seemed like it when I was trying to help!
It has been really dry here last 3wks after a beautiful summer. We finally got some much needed rain Saturday night and yesterday. Okra, tomatoes and peppers still going but everything else done. Looks like there will be lots of tomatoes coming ripe when I'm gone later this week that won't get canned. I'm going to put up what is ripe enough today.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 09-18-2017 06:43 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

It was a little tough raw, but I like wiping dirt off just about everything in the garden and eating it raw so I had to eat my first okra that way, too.
The plan for supper tonight is sweetcorn and tomato sandwiches.

Old Post 09-19-2017 09:07 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

It was a little tough raw, but I like wiping dirt off just about everything in the garden and eating it raw so I had to eat my first okra that way, too.
The plan for supper tonight is sweetcorn and tomato sandwiches.

Old Post 09-19-2017 09:07 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I love tomato sandwiches Cheyenne would tell me a working man cannot survive on vegetables alone lol. I also eat spot of cucumber sandwiches sometimes with tomatoes, always mayo, salt and pepper on both. Is your corn still going or are you eating what you froze. We picked all ours and froze it in July.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 09-19-2017 10:01 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We bought a half lb of corn and planted most of it. Then the crows pulled a bunch out so we replanted several rows. We're getting from the rows we replanted. I wanted to freeze some, but Chuck said there wasn't enough to mess with. Pretty sure there is, but I think he wants it for deer bait. He doesn't mind sharing with them, just doesn't like them playing pig.
Chuck's not a big tomato sandwich fan either. He likes a slice on a hamburger.

Old Post 09-19-2017 10:19 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

It's suppose to freeze tonight so yesterday I picked a couple of peppes, eggplants and a squash. We've been eating watermelon, but they're over, too.

Old Post 10-16-2017 09:02 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

No frost for here yet but it will be coming soon. I've got a ton of green tomatoes that I will have to pick before long. It's time to dry some more herbs before the first frost too. I think I will get the dehydrator out for them, if the guys have any luck deer hunting i will need it.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 10-17-2017 08:54 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We had a hard frost. When I got up the ground was so white, I thought it was snow at first.

Old Post 10-18-2017 04:39 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I pickled most of the green tomatoes and did one jar hot and another hot/sweet with the vinegar. I've got herbs hanging to dry and some concoctions stewing up in a dark cabinet for future medicinal use. Made an oxymel from equal parts fresh herb, honey and vinegar with some lemon balm I've never made before. I've also got a few tinctures going, herbs covered in vodka that will set for a month then I will strain off and save the liquid. Some tinctures and other things I will make i have to wait until the herbs are completely dry. There is a salve/rub I love that falls into this category that uses olive oil, bees wax as a base for mint, rosemary and lavender. Another thing I've been making since having grandkids is diaper cream, it's base is coconut oil and bees wax.
If anybody gets sick this winter and would like to be a test patient give me a call lol.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 11-02-2017 06:38 PM