UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Gardening Thread
Pages (19): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I use to go to a local herb festival and buy concoctions. They worked well for me.
The only thing I ever made was bear grease, with the last bear Chuck got. I gave most of it to the Amish. They used it on horse wounds. I read it was good for leather, but I wasn't a big fan. Read later, it should be mixed with bees wax. I bought some, but Chuck hasn't got another bear.
I finished our last watermelon out of the garden earlier this wk. It wasn't the best, but I've bought worse. Dandy and Ruby didn't complain. I never knew dogs liked it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-02-2017 08:45 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I never knew dogs liked watermelon I will give Ol Red a piece next time we have some he will eat anything! Chey uses bear grease on his boots idk if it has any bees wax in or not, he also sometimes uses mink oil. We have a very low bear population here but I know there are a few. I have a friend that captured pics of one on her game cam and last year someone got a video of one running across main street in town. We have never treed a bear or saw one while hunting.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 11-02-2017 09:17 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I saw a mother and 4 cubs run through our hay field a wk or so ago. The game lands is just a mile from here so they bring nuisance bears here. We get a ton of bear hunters here....my husband hates it. He likes to hunt everything alone and doesn't care for party hunters. Our dogs, especially Dandy eats just about anything we do. He's a beggar.

Old Post 11-03-2017 02:59 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Canning beets today about 24 quart jars worth.

Old Post 11-12-2017 11:31 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Yummy. ..beets are one of my favorites.

Chuck almost got attacked by a bear on Thursday night. Maybe the mom of the 4 cubs. It went after the dogs and they ran back and hid behind Chuck. It stopped just a few feet from him, then he said after about 30 seconds, it loped about 50 yds and stopped again, then went into the corn field.

Old Post 11-12-2017 04:47 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Made 32 quarts of pickled beets my hands are still sore from peeling them. Would have been 33 quarts but I ate me some before my wife started canning them lol.

Old Post 11-14-2017 12:25 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

It's that time of year again to get our gardening thread going again. About time to get those cooler weather veggies going and some seeds started indoors.
Anyone with some new ideas or tips feel free to share them.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 03-10-2018 01:46 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Hi Jen, we have about 8" of snow here. Came part ways home from taking our furs to mt the NAFA truck in 4 wheel drive. Got home and there was a box on the porch from Gurneys. Chuck ordered fruit trees and I think some blueberry bushes; he couldn't believe they shipped them already.

Old Post 03-10-2018 02:58 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
Hi Jen, we have about 8" of snow here. Came part ways home from taking our furs to mt the NAFA truck in 4 wheel drive. Got home and there was a box on the porch from Gurneys. Chuck ordered fruit trees and I think some blueberry bushes; he couldn't believe they shipped them already.

Yuck, not quite time to plant up there yet then! Down here many try to get their potatoes planted by St Patty's Day and most other root vegetables are usually safe to plant. We are still getting some below freezing nights but not many after a cold icy winter. Our biggest snows have always came as surprise storms from the first through middle of March.
My daffodils are blooming, the rose bushes leaves are starting to bud and all the lillies and tulips follage is up.
Anybody use the no till method on any of their garden?
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 03-10-2018 04:13 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Today we worked all day in the yard cleaning and burning it had a serious case of the wintertime blues. Chey and Ashton's boyfriend Tyler put fresh mulch in the beds in the front of the house. Cheyenne planted himself some new shrubs and roses down the drive. If only his coonhunting buddies could see him picking out flowers lol. I worked on cleaning out the little fenced garden on the south side of the house. Ash stayed busy trimming up bushes and roses getting everything ready for spring. The boards on one of my raised beds didn't make it through the winter so well and I've got some work to do there before planting time. The husband is still refusing to give up the rest of that side of the yard to make a big garden so I've been moving the rocks that line his flower beds down that side and the back of the house WAY out and I'm going to fill it with vegetables and herbs around his flowers! The truck is loaded down with mulch to for more garden work tomorrow so hopefully the weather will cooperate.
I bought seed potatoes for mom for the big garden but will do a couple of tires up here for some. Tire potatoes, put a tire on the ground put a few seed tators on the ground and cover with dirt and mulch, water as needed. Each time the leaves of the potato plant come through stack another tire and put more dirt and mulch, I use straw. Keep stacking until you are ready to harvest. Tire tators are a great space saver or if you are like me and you have more rocks than dirt when you till make an easy method to a bountiful harvest with very little work.
Happy gardening,
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 03-18-2018 03:06 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I saw the tire tator idea on FB a couple of yrs ago. We haven 't planted potatoes for yrs. Probably because deer don't eat them😉 Still have lots of snow here. Chuck fell on the ice a couple of days ago and hurt his back. He's been taking Aleve and said it's getting better. He helps me in my flower beds, but it's not something he likes to do.

Old Post 03-18-2018 05:49 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I talked to Tar this morning and he was putting his tomatoes in the ground. It frosted here again this week so I'm still holding off on getting mine planted but I'm ready as soon as mother nature is!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-20-2018 04:26 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Tell Tar I said "hi". Was wondering if he planted his beets yet. We never plant plants until Memorial Day wkend and if there's going to be a full moon the 1st wk of June, we'll wait until after it.
We still have our fruit trees to get trimmed.

Old Post 04-20-2018 11:58 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Been slow going with the weather this spring and time since it decided to stay warm but I finally have most of the garden in.
Most of you that follow this thread I don't have a traditional tilled garden living on a rock pile it there is not enough good dirt and I organic garden with no pesticides and only heirloom varieties of plants. Cheyenne increased the size of the beds around the house and I have taken them over before he planted flowers and shrubs. The little fenced in garden with slightly raised beds I am putting some cattle panels in arches for cucumbers and beans to have some more space to climb and under the panels some plants that don't mind a little shade when summer heat hits. Lettuce will be planted a little every couple weeks for a summer long harvest and plenty of beets since tar never shares with any of us. I counted last night and I have planted 50 tomato plants different heirloom varieties and lots of peppers. Last year heirloom plants and organic gardening worked out pretty well it's a little bit more work on the pest control but worth it to me feeding my family. With everything being in beds it is all mulched for weed control and the edges and paths sprinkled with farm salt. Last year I applied salt only twice and never had to weed eat around any of it. I do have an area in back of the house where Chey did work on the septic lines over the winter that i need to spray with vinegar, water and salt to kill out the weeds until I have time to work the ground and get and get some grass growing also going to try this mixture at the farm on fence rows and any thistle that pops up. I had to go rescue garlic from the compost pile the husband pulled it up thinking they were weeds while helping to get it all ready 😑 love him and wanted to hit him at the same time! The garlic has been in the same place for several years so hopefully he remembers now.
Grandma turned 90 last fall and is still going strong and gave me her Mother's Day order of 12 tomato plants, 4 bell pepper, cucumber, letyuce and radishes. She will probably grow more on 12 than I do on 50 lol. She used to plant a huge garden but has cut back to just this little bit planted in her upper yard along the corrals. Cutting back has given her more time for picking up rocks, cleaning fence rows and picking up sticks in the timber, her favorite past times lol. She told me as a child their garden was several acres 5 of which were planted with tomatoes that they grew to sell to the local cannery, the rest was canned and stored to feed a family of 12 and their animals. Grandma has no recollection of the Great Depression being completely self sufficient kept them fed well.
Mom finished up the big garden in the bottom at her house last week, she grows plenty of corn since space and soil doesn't allow me to here. Today Mom is cagging he tomatoes. If I had her dirt I'd till the whole yard lol.
Happy gardening everyone, feel free to share your ideas and tell us about your garden.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 05-15-2018 07:14 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Jen tar didn't get many of those beets either Paul my buddy that helped me grow them was eating a quart jar a week Mrs tar has a really good recipe I got two quarts left but really I like to just cook them and eat them unpickeld I saved the catfish the kids at camp caught today after I cleaned them there was two full gallons of fillets we are going to feed the teachers fish Thursday two days to go lol.

Tar

Old Post 05-15-2018 11:51 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Maters on !!! Won't be long now fried green maters to go with the fish.

Tar

Old Post 05-24-2018 12:12 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

You lucky dog mine are only about a foot tall.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 05-24-2018 07:51 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Go to feeding victor dog food almost grow maters in the winter lol.

Grandpa used to grow his maters on top the lateral lines lol

Tar

Old Post 05-24-2018 08:01 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Won"t that cause thyroid tomatoes? I've never had that problem with Valu Pac maters.

Old Post 05-25-2018 12:49 AM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

No garden for us this yr. Last yr, we had about 6 deer hanging around and they got more of the garden then we did. This yr, we were seeing 15-20 deer, Chuck said "no way". Plus, his back and knee are giving him trouble and now he has gout.
He didn't get all the fruit trees trimmed because of his back. They had lots of blossums so hoping to get fruit, but the sprayer broke so he didn't get them sprayed. He said he's done wasting his time and $. The last 2 yrs he sprayed them and then we had a late frost and didn't get fruit, this yr, he doesn't spray and weather has been beautiful. Maybe the bugs and worms won't get them all.

Old Post 05-25-2018 02:38 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Rex Ridge, you may just need to tuck yourself a plant here and there in a flower bed in the yard instead of a big garden. It sounds like your deer are flocking in and waiting and Chuck says jokes on them this year lol.

Yadkin Tar/River, way to hijack a thread lol. No worries I'm putting my plants on levothyroxine I'm jealous Tar's plants are growing faster than mine! No I can't do that they may not reproduce.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 05-25-2018 05:00 AM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Sorry Jen. Tars fault. You know how he is. I think the most valuable thing you can use under a mater is Gypsun. you won't have any blossom end rot. works wonders on rosebushes too. Rex Ridge just be happy deer let you have an orchard. Quiet a few years ago I set out a 50 tree hobby orchard. Deer beat them down to 38. I replanted time and time again and there is a place where the deer wont leave them alone. Even put wire baskets around them and bucks would get their horns hung in them and carry them off then come back and kill my sapling. I got fed up and killed two while horning my trees and gave them to an elderly couple to eat and got myself three tickets. So if you get fed up with the deer just remember the three S's.
P.S. Jen I forgot to mention between the kennel and mater patch you can scratch out Valu Pac redworms that will reach out and grab a catfish by the lips. lol

Old Post 05-25-2018 01:20 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Mine are waist high already !! But my waist ain't as far from the ground as it used to be lol.

Tar

Old Post 05-25-2018 01:25 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We started our orchard in 1992, with 36 trees, 6 each of plum, pear, cherry, nectarine, peach and apple. And blueberry bushes. Next yr, we bought nut trees and more apples and blueberries. The deer got a few, but most of them survived, but we had to put chicken wire around them, wired to T posts. We added or replaced trees and blueberries almost every yr, until about 4 yrs ago because the nursery went out of business. The deer will stand on their back legs and eat apples off the trees. A couple of yrs ago, I picked up a small bucket of peaches so Chuck could mow and forgot to bring them in, the next day, I had a bucket of pits. The deer came in and ate them right out of the bucket. I like the deer, but they don't share well.

Old Post 05-26-2018 04:41 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Chuck plowed the garden...we might still have one.
Lots of little apples, pears, plums and peaches on the trees. The cherries all dried up or rotted. Chuck never got his sprayer fixed so what fruit we get, we'll be sharing with bugs and worms.

Old Post 06-13-2018 09:33 PM