UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > make a dog independent
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sgamberg
UKC Forum Member

make a dog independent

Can you make a dog independent?? If so how obyou go about it??

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-10-2014 07:53 PM
sgamberg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sgamberg Click here to Send sgamberg a Private Message Click Here to Email sgamberg Find more posts by sgamberg Add sgamberg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roustabout
UKC Forum Member

Independent

I don't think you can "make" a dog more independent , I honestly believe it's bred in them. I had a young dog here that treed coons about any night you cut him, I hunted him alone about 300 nights that year, he was alone every drop except for a couple. After all that time hunting alone he would cover a dog at the drop of a hat. He was excellent in every dept, but he would cover dogs and that in turn made him a cull. The day I have to have two 70lb dogs to strike, trail, and tree a 8lb coon, I will quit . You can however break them from wanting to cover dogs, it can be done with a shocking collar and another dog. I don't know exactly what your dog is doing but this may help. Hope I've helped a little and not rambled too much . Lol good luck

Old Post 05-10-2014 08:19 PM
Roustabout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roustabout Click here to Send Roustabout a Private Message Click Here to Email Roustabout Find more posts by Roustabout Add Roustabout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sgamberg
UKC Forum Member

He's a finished dog and can do it all on his own and is hunted alone most of the time but has to big of ears will do his own thing but won't always hold pressure and if one opens first he's right their to cover them drives me nuts my plan was to shock him off any tree he backs another dog see what happens scared it will ruin him thou

Old Post 05-10-2014 09:07 PM
sgamberg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sgamberg Click here to Send sgamberg a Private Message Click Here to Email sgamberg Find more posts by sgamberg Add sgamberg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roustabout
UKC Forum Member

That's exactly how the dog I described was, he took the big ear way too much, I've never ruined one by shocking them, every dog is different tho . I would try that first . I hope you get him on track, I know how frustrating it is. I bought a female from a man in Ohio sometime back. She was broke that way, she would run by other dogs treed like she was late for work. Never backed anything while she was here. It doesn't work that well on every dog I'm sure, but I've had good success with it. Good luck

Last edited by Roustabout on 05-10-2014 at 09:40 PM

Old Post 05-10-2014 09:33 PM
Roustabout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roustabout Click here to Send Roustabout a Private Message Click Here to Email Roustabout Find more posts by Roustabout Add Roustabout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Morgan Richard
UKC Forum Member

I personally. I would cut him with a dog that will get by themself. If he goes with them, shock him. Make him go by himself, and learn that if he covers its gonna get bad.

Old Post 05-10-2014 09:41 PM
Morgan Richard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Morgan Richard Click here to Send Morgan Richard a Private Message Find more posts by Morgan Richard Add Morgan Richard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James Garrison
UKC Forum Member

I had a Gr. Nite ch. that was never hunted one time in his entire life by himself, not once. He loved to fall out of a red hot race and tree by himself. He would hold more pressure than any dog I ever owned or saw. Its the genes bred into them. He was a complete pressure tree dog just because of the blood inside of him.

Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Hobo
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Luke
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Honey
Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Lead Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Belle
Nite Champion Garrisons Brindle Buckshot HTX
At Stud Grand Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Trax

Old Post 05-10-2014 10:12 PM
James Garrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James Garrison Click here to Send James Garrison a Private Message Click Here to Email James Garrison Find more posts by James Garrison Add James Garrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

here's what id do
1.cut him let him strike walk another dog into the woods
2.let him tree n get a couple hundred yards from him in a spot were u can see him commin.
3.get the other dog on a tree and wait if u can stop him with the e-collar great go to his tree love him up or roll it out if he doesnt stop grab his butt b4 he gets to other tree and let the leather fly!! acouple of these should do it.

Old Post 05-10-2014 11:24 PM
rthompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rthompson Click here to Send rthompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rthompson Find more posts by rthompson Add rthompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hootowlman
UKC Forum Member

I think its all in the dog. It just depends on there attitude some are pack dogs and some are loners. I have a 11 month old gyp out of trick magic just starting to come on strong. About 8 out of 10 times you cut her loose she will get by herself and she has never been hunted by herself EVER...She has always been hunted with other dogs since she was 6 months old. Last night we cut loose 4 hounds all at the same time. She stayed with them for about 200 yards then got by herself after about 20 minutes we heard her open the other dogs went to her and fell in with her and they ended it with a big fat coon in the tree. It don't bother me either way as long as it ends with meat in the tree.

Old Post 05-11-2014 01:47 AM
hootowlman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hootowlman Click here to Send hootowlman a Private Message Click Here to Email hootowlman Find more posts by hootowlman Add hootowlman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

ive been workin on my pup for awhile now and nothin seems to work. sometimes he will get by his self and sometimes he dont. like a couple guys already said i beleive their born with it or they aint.

Old Post 05-11-2014 06:24 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbpro56
UKC Forum Member

I would say you can beat or shock one enough, and he would probably not want to tree with another dog, but on the other hand, there's a great chance you will ruin a nice pleasure dog!

Bruce Profitt

Last edited by dbpro56 on 05-14-2014 at 07:49 PM

Old Post 05-12-2014 04:13 PM
dbpro56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbpro56 Click here to Send dbpro56 a Private Message Click Here to Email dbpro56 Find more posts by dbpro56 Add dbpro56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Slowpoke 2012
UKC Forum Member

Independence

IMO, if you hunt your dog alone all the time they will want to cover or hunt with another dog. Isn't more fun for you to hunt or fish with someone else. Sure put a shocker on your dog, punish them enough and they will stay away from others. But be warned, I have personally seen this cause the dog to leave the tree when another comes into cover him. Hound thinks he's going to get shocked.

PR. Missouri Hi-Dollar Slowpoke HTX

PR. Missouri Nite Hunt Hitman - R.I.P
08-08-2013 - 07-15-2015
Starved to death by a S.O.B named Austin Tibbits.

American Black and Tan Coon Hounds
----------------------------------------------------------

Nt.Ch. "PR." Wildside's BugEyed Betty (W)

Matthew Fann
816-565-1660

Last edited by Slowpoke 2012 on 05-12-2014 at 05:08 PM

Old Post 05-12-2014 05:05 PM
Slowpoke 2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slowpoke 2012 Click here to Send Slowpoke 2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Slowpoke 2012 Find more posts by Slowpoke 2012 Add Slowpoke 2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jay brademeyer
UKC Forum Member

You can train one to do or not to do many things. But it is alot less stress on u and your dog if they are born with the traits u desire....

"Building on a solid foundation starts on the bottom side"

Old Post 05-12-2014 05:08 PM
jay brademeyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jay brademeyer Click here to Send jay brademeyer a Private Message Click Here to Email jay brademeyer Find more posts by jay brademeyer Add jay brademeyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kody
UKC Forum Member

U can

Obviously it would be great if he naturally did his own thing but we don't live in a perfect world and it seems people always want what they don't have I am just as guilty

1-u and a buddy go take a dog that will go in there get hooked

2- u go to his tree text/call your buddy to cut your dog watch your garmin wait for him to come into ya keep your light off

3- when he gets there give em a woopin send him on tell him "no" continue to do this until he stops covering

4- u can also cut him in let em get treed go to him cut a dog in on him to put pressure on him if he tries to leave grab him make him stay

U pry won't get him to completely stop covering dogs but will def slow it down be certain situations where they just all but have to cover to score

I personally don't use a shocker for everything especially like this stuff because guy can get too trigger happy on it
Good luck

Home of:
Silver Ch Stylish Pit
Ntch Mr Wild Child Rambo (1-win)

All Co-owned with Colt Baldwin

Old Post 05-12-2014 05:22 PM
Kody is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kody Click here to Send Kody a Private Message Click Here to Email Kody Find more posts by Kody Add Kody to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Hunt it by itself

Old Post 05-12-2014 06:05 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jay brademeyer
UKC Forum Member

Hunting a dog alone has nothing to do with making a dog a loner.. all that does is hone their skills and makes them confident in what they can do.. if a dog is not born a loner and you want them to b.. you have to train them.. some respond well to training some dont and what works for one dog might set another one back along ways.. a smart dog doesnt need as much training to get t he point accross. And yes it is good to have your dog confident in himself before you start to train that independence and that comes with hunting him alone... I like to have them consistantly doing well then the first time they are exposed to other dogs it is a set up..but you also can train one that has been in a habit of covering also.. just takes longer

Old Post 05-12-2014 06:57 PM
jay brademeyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jay brademeyer Click here to Send jay brademeyer a Private Message Click Here to Email jay brademeyer Find more posts by jay brademeyer Add jay brademeyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
[i]all that does is hone their skills and makes them confident in what they can do. [/B]

Exactly. The less confidence the bigger the ears. But I could be wrong

Old Post 05-12-2014 07:08 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dwils
UKC Forum Member

You can't make a dog independent you can only make one scared to cover . I also see guys obsess over it way too much . I used to be one of those guys . IMO . When I turn a dog loose I don't want it to worry about wether or not it's packing up with other dogs , I want it to worry about treeing coon . Too many times I hunt with dogs that worry about being alone before they have much sense on treeing coon.

To answer your question , you can make a dog split tree or not cover but you cannot make one independent

NtCh PKCCh Skuna River Faith
NtCh PKC Ch Catch This
Silver Ch River Bend Lacey

Old Post 05-12-2014 10:19 PM
Dwils is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dwils Click here to Send Dwils a Private Message Click Here to Email Dwils Find more posts by Dwils Add Dwils to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Malone
UKC Forum Member

I like naturally independent hounds!!!!!!!!

Stylish Hardwood Kennel's Home Of :
('PR' Davis's Lipper' s Dominator & 'PR' Davis Harry's Stylish Queen)
(P.K.C $252.00)
Stylish Hardwood Bank

(PCh. GrNtCh. Davis's Stylish Harry's Hammer & NTCh. East River Hardwood Dixie)
PKC Ch. NtCh. Stylish Hardwood Tyme
('PR' Lipper's Dr. Law & 'PR' TRJ Hope)
Logan's Hardwood Flo

Old Post 05-12-2014 11:39 PM
John Malone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Malone Click here to Send John Malone a Private Message Click Here to Email John Malone Find more posts by John Malone Add John Malone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Independent?

Breaking a dog from honoring other dogs that are trailing and or treeing a coon?

Never in my life have i heard of such nonsense.

every dog i have ever had would stay on their track or tree it would not matter if 100 deer or fox hounds came through the same block of woods they would stay hooked,

If i was hunting with 1 of my buddies our dogs will trail and tree coon together or alone we have had them tree together and or split tree from as close has 20 feet to 1/2 mile away or a little farther both have a coon and both stay treed.

Independence is striking a track and staying with it no matter how cold the track to a coon in the tree at the end no matter what the other dogs do or do not do.

One can make a dog hunt only your desired game imho only 10% of dogs or less are born naturally straight but dogs are either born with Independence or not they can not be man made and if they are not naturally independent they should never be bred jmho.

I can not believe we are going down this rabbit hole.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Last edited by Chuck Allen on 05-14-2014 at 10:41 PM

Old Post 05-14-2014 09:28 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jay brademeyer
UKC Forum Member

Well .. I would say if everydog you have owned was that way .... you havent owned many .... hounds are pack animals by nature. . born loaners are rare. But with the way we are trying to breed our dogs to be loaners we are seeing more born that way.. if they are not born that way they can be trained by a patient competent trainer. You would be surprised how much you can train a dog to do or not to do.... some dogs respond better to training than others... and yes a born loaner is alot less aggravating. But if you dont require a loaner you will be alot easier to please....

Old Post 05-15-2014 01:35 AM
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

read my post , my dogs are not loners at all but if they start a track they will finish it the other dogs can either go with them or not it makes no difference but at the same time if another dog opens and they go check, if its a coon they will join in and pack.

I have hunted hounds for 35 years so i have owned a few, but i do cull hard.

this post seems to be about training dogs to be loners.

I would not own (actually i would cull) a dog that did not honor other dogs on the right game.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Last edited by Chuck Allen on 05-15-2014 at 01:56 PM

Old Post 05-15-2014 02:50 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

Theres world and platinum champs that without a doubt were man made not to back another dog.Ive heard it done many times.Seems to me like they would pass up coons trying to get away from other dogs.

Old Post 05-15-2014 03:19 AM
Jackson87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson87 Click here to Send Jackson87 a Private Message Find more posts by Jackson87 Add Jackson87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

well that just tells me not to breed or buy a pup out of titled dogs.

Old Post 05-15-2014 03:38 AM
jay brademeyer
UKC Forum Member

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. ..you like packing type dogs and I dont.Doesnt make either one right or wrong. Just a preferance. Just like Ford and Chevy.

Old Post 05-15-2014 07:44 AM
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

this has gottn so far from the reason the question was askd and has turned into a circus why is every body so defensive!lol

Old Post 05-15-2014 03:01 PM
rthompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rthompson Click here to Send rthompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rthompson Find more posts by rthompson Add rthompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote